Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July/Aug '19 Lite Challenge: Islands of Naesathyra

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi Cédric. This is perhaps the best combination of these shapes that anyone's done so far. My favorite part is the "Waveless Deep", because of how it balances and unifies those two shapes. Your style is nice, the colors are harmonious. Some spell checking could help improve it further ("forgotten" is spelled wrong, and the word ocean isn't capitalized).

One detail you could still work on is the mountain range names; they are invisible, because the text color is lighter than the mountain outlines, creating this kind of a camouflage effect. You can only read them when you fully zoom in. The text flows nicely, so I think it would be a bit of a shame to let it disappear like that. Other than that, I don't think the map needs much else.
    Thank you for the feedback Kisachik, I'm going to take care of the spelling errors. As for the mountain text, I do agree with you, and this is a problem. I chose that way because I don't want the text to overshadow the mountains and I don't really know how I can balance the two of them but I'm going to work that and see if I find something that works.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Just saw this over on Instagram. Nice to get a closer look at the detail. Lovely piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you Arsheesh

Hi Cédric. You said you don't really know how you can balance the mountains and the text, but your overall map style looks so good that I think you can find what works if you just experiment a little; you seem to have an eye for that. If you get a bit lost in too many options, try to at least match the font color with the one of the mountain line work, then play around with the font outline's thickness and opacity. The one you have helps a bit, but it might need to be bigger. The text weight and font style are good though, so I wouldn't change them. No need to put a solid banner over the mountains either; what you have works, it just needs a bit of adjustment. Sometimes subtle changes like that turn out to be perfect.

Hope we get to see your update soon.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Islands of Naesathyra v2 by Cédric H. - The Fantasy Maps Forge JPEG.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	8.11 MB 
ID:	117022
    I´ve corrected the spelling error in "Forgotten Ocean" and made the labels for the mountains a bit more visible.
    Thank you again for your input Kisachik.

Very nice map!

Love the watercolour feel to it.

Nicely drawn

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Very nice map!

Love the watercolour feel to it.

Nicely drawn
    Thank you Mouse

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12