Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystoris

Map Crystoris

Hello!

I did a commission map and wanted to share. Nothing to fancy, but i learned couple new tricks

Hope you enjoy it as i did and it will be great to hear a critique :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crystoris.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	116966

Very nice work, simple is sometimes the best, it gets all the important things across that a map should have. One thing I will mention is that I think a few of your text labels could use an outer glow effect with white which would make them easier to read. Like I said on insta I love those icons which are absolutely my favorite part of this map! Great job!

I'm with Domino on the labels, but other than that it looks nice! A bit busy, perhaps, but not so much that it would be impossible to read. I like the border effect a lot, and those icons are indeed da bomb. Your mountain style is a killer too. As far as B/W maps go, this is a great one.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Love this style and your mountains are fantastic! Not sure if it's intentional or not, but seems there's a misspelling on one of the labels--should "Field of th Aspects" be "the Aspects"?

Also, "Rouge's Hideaway" would be a hidden make-up cache. "Rogue's Hideaway" seems more likely what was intended.

The detailed cities look nice, but I wish we could see them at a better resolution. The mapping all looks good, but I agree that a little glow to help with label readability would be an improvement. Also, using the same line to connect the detail illustrations to their map locations as used for the borders is potentially confusing. I'd have preferred either a different color or the use of a solid line for the connectors.

Best feature: the coastlines. The irregular, broken off-shore lines have a beautiful organic feel to them and evoke the waves lapping the shores in a way that the standard solid, shore-following lines do not.

I did the glow on labels, but i guess it not enough I played with sizes of it, but results was same. Maybe i need to try again and find better solution! And it look really good at full resolution

And i really embarrassed about misspells i was in a rush to share and didn't make proper spell check.

Thanks you all for comments and great feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by vb.maps View Post
    I did the glow on labels, but i guess it not enough I played with sizes of it, but results was same. Maybe i need to try again and find better solution! And it look really good at full resolution

And i really embarrassed about misspells i was in a rush to share and didn't make proper spell check.

Thanks you all for comments and great feedback!
    If the glow isn’t doing enough, try adding a stroke around the text in the same shade of white as the background! 2-3 px white stroke can make a world of difference, and it’s solid, unlike glow.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardInk View Post
    If the glow isn’t doing enough, try adding a stroke around the text in the same shade of white as the background! 2-3 px white stroke can make a world of difference, and it’s solid, unlike glow.
    Or you could boost the Glow's Spread up to closer to 100%, which will give you a more solid look. I've always preferred the Outer glow over Stroke, it's easier to keep it still a bit soft even if you are going for a more solid effect.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 08-13-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I did some adjustment and i think it looks better

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	117003

And couple close up shots

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	330.6 KB 
ID:	117004

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	336.7 KB 
ID:	117005

Name:	Joxi.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	395.4 KB 
ID:	117006

Thanks for all suggestions! I love this community so much

Labels can be tricky but your lineart is as great as ever Vadim ! Fantastic job, especially on those forests. I'm so glad to finally have the opportunity to see your maps bigger than on IG !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast