Thread: Early Ancient Greek inspiration wip

Wip Early Ancient Greek inspiration wip

In an effort to get better at this and apply all the learning/techniques I am borrowing….I am trying to make one map a month.

This one grew out of practicing a boarder in the Geometric Greek style (7th Century BCE) that I liked and thought I would run with. What I found that surprised me was how a more detailed and coastline and mountain line just “felt” wrong so I have simplified them.

Next step rivers and trees then dreaded step of adding text….

Grateful for all feedback

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark Age Greece wip1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	5.30 MB 
ID:	116969

Name:	Dark Age Greece wip2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	116970
    "It is not down in any map; true places never are."

Herman Melville - Moby Dick

Wip Text and rivers

I have added a couple of rivers and the text. I limited the rivers again because of the feel of the map. I also experimented with some different text spacing but ended up rushing them and feel I've blown it.

More patience needed but I think these are mistakes I have to make.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ancient Greece wip3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	6.34 MB 
ID:	117054  

Hi Hardacre. Your map is coming along nicely. The mountains look cool. What I would suggest, since you find text difficult, is to practice writing on a separate piece of paper. You won't feel the pressure so much, and you can try different styles. If you have a piece of tracing paper, you can even see how your text would look on the map when you overlay it, before copying it onto your work. Another thing I'd suggest is to write your text in a couple of fonts on a computer and pick one that you think fits your map. Try to copy those letters as closely as possible. Your text style will become more consistent; observation and study is how artists learn to draw and paint anything, even text.

Looks great so far. Are you planning on inking it in?

Thanks Kisachik, good advice and a straight forward approach regarding tracing a font style. I just had not thought about in those terms. I'll use that for the next map and get practicing now.

Thanks Falconius that it massively dependent on when I can find the time around work and the children. I am giving myself a time scale of one month a map at the moment to keep me going and not getting bogged down and frustrated. Hopefully I can get some ink on this one in the next few weeks and get another milestone in map making journey ticked off!

I took the plunge and got some ink on the map. It is still very much a learning curve (check the pen size closely....) but glad to have made the next step. I am now treating this very much as a development project and I am going to try and experiment a bit further without worrying overly about the final product. I am not sure if that is in keeping with overall theme here under the Regional/World so please do let me know.

Thanks again for the support, I have also just realized that I should have replied on the same post rather than two separate ones.

Name:	Ancient Greece wip 4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	7.08 MB 
ID:	117128
    Last edited by Hardacre; 08-20-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Loaded the picture twice

The text is clear to read, I wouldn't worry about it. You should absolutely experiment.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!