Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August 2019 Challenge: Tumunza

Looks so good.

For the value structure I'd suggest you paint a test scale on a scrap piece of paper (or rather new canvas since this is digital) and make your darkest value (lowest height) as dark as you can whilst still retaining readability of the things down there. You may need to adjust the line work in that area darker in order to achieve this. I'm not sure if you started with a midtone background or not since when you digitized it you had one, but now it looks like you worked down from white. Which to me means there is perhaps just too much white, save white only for the highlights and go one tone down from white for the highest areas.

It's looking very good Chris. I like the colours and overall feel of the map. Keep it up.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This is astounding and the speed with which you delivered this is also impressive ! It's gonna be gorgeous, no doubt

Hi Chris. Your map is very nice so far.

The main thing to remember when adding depth to an illustration is always what your light sources are and their location. Your river bank suggests the light is coming from somewhere at the bottom, but it's not very consistent along the entire length. It looks kind of right, but might be exactly what is giving you the trouble. If you keep forgetting the exact location of your light source, simply draw some guide on another layer, and use it while adding the shadows. The more strictly you follow it, the more realistic depth you'll get.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Ohhhh, that looks like it's going to get my vote!

Wip

I've been away from my maps for too much time now because I've to work (that's the problem with life, you can't do what you really want to do ). Here is the last step of the map of Tumunza.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190814.Tumunza.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	117269

I still have to add some relief to the streets and to add texts.

Like those colors better than previous version. Looks like the shading is coming along fairly well. Looking forward to seeing this finished up.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I think it looks really fantastic. The palette looks beautiful. And the shading has really helped the depth legibility.

Though the steps up still don't make much sense to me. Why wouldn't they either walk up the relatively gentler gradients along the hills?
    Such as either of these routes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steps_Tumunza.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	117276

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe
    Like those colors better than previous version. Looks like the shading is coming along fairly well. Looking forward to seeing this finished up.
    I hope I'll find some time to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think it looks really fantastic. The palette looks beautiful. And the shading has really helped the depth legibility.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Though the steps up still don't make much sense to me. Why wouldn't they either walk up the relatively gentler gradients along the hills?
    Such as either of these routes:
    Mmmf... you're so right. I should have drawn a continuous cliff ... It will be difficult to change that before the end of the mounth.

Maybe block off those gentle slopes with some kind of barrier? Briar walls? Fire pits? Masses of crystals?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast