Thread: Commission - THE WITCHLANDS

Default Commission - THE WITCHLANDS

I'm excited to finally share this map with you all! It was commissioned to accompany the box set release of Susan Dennard's incredible Witchlands series from Tor this fall. An altered will also appear in future editions of the books.

Having already been a fan of the series and Susan, I was really honored when she asked me to create an updated version of her world's map, and to include battle element as well. It was tricky finding a balance between an informative map that showed military movements and battles while also keeping it artistic and aesthetically balanced. I had a lot of fun too illustrating the unique fauna of the Witchlands in the border. Finished piece was 11 x 17 inches. Created in Procreate and Photoshop.

Copyright 2019 Susan Dennard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Witchlands Battle Map Final (1).jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	117190

Well, hot damn.

The first Witchlands map by Maxime Plasse is easily one of my all-time favorite maps, yet you seem to have pulled of the unbelievable feat of making a new version that I almost like even more. Kudos for that!
    Yet another great map from you, and the border is of course just amazing. The shadow effect on the coastline looks incredible - I'd never thought to use a shadow together with those kind of "wavelines", but the effect seems to work really well! I'll have to keep that in mind.

Wondeful work, congrats on the commission!
    I really need to get my hands on book two - I really enjoyed Truthwitch, but never got further than that for some reason...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Well, hot damn.

The first Witchlands map by Maxime Plasse is easily one of my all-time favorite maps, yet you seem to have pulled of the unbelievable feat of making a new version that I almost like even more. Kudos for that!
    Yet another great map from you, and the border is of course just amazing. The shadow effect on the coastline looks incredible - I'd never thought to use a shadow together with those kind of "wavelines", but the effect seems to work really well! I'll have to keep that in mind.

Wondeful work, congrats on the commission!
    I really need to get my hands on book two - I really enjoyed Truthwitch, but never got further than that for some reason...
    Thanks so much for the feedback, Kell! I too love Max's original piece; it was definitely daunting when Susan came to me for an updated version, because his work is an extremely tough act to follow! Since he wasn't able to do the updated version, I tried to honor his piece in little ways while also devising something new. And I'm glad you like the shadow trick. It was a last-minute experiment that kind of surprised me, and I think I'll be using it more in the future. I was aiming for an overall papercraft look to the piece, almost like a shadowbox effect. I hope you get a chance to catch up on the series! I think it gets better with each book.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I absolutely love this!!! Wow, what a map. The battle elements is a real cool touch. And what a border too!

Well Susan is lucky to have you as her cartographer on this.

(Sad to say, I can't rep you again so soon.)

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Wow, this is incredible.

Really into how you did the coastlines, makes the landmass pop but still gives the overall piece a classic quality.

I don't know much about the series, but there seems to be a bit of an alternate-Europe shape to the landmass. Is that intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    Wow, this is incredible.

Really into how you did the coastlines, makes the landmass pop but still gives the overall piece a classic quality.

I don't know much about the series, but there seems to be a bit of an alternate-Europe shape to the landmass. Is that intentional?
    You know, I'm not sure! I don't think so, but I'll have to ask the author next time we talk.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    I absolutely love this!!! Wow, what a map. The battle elements is a real cool touch. And what a border too!

Well Susan is lucky to have you as her cartographer on this.

(Sad to say, I can't rep you again so soon.)
    thanks, XCali! having read the series, I felt lucky to draw it; it was a little like doing fan art!

Wish I could rep this one but it won't let me, very impressive map.

I love the border illustrations on this piece Lizardkink, and the colors are lovely. Wonderful job!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wow ! What a beautiful map !
    I love the way the layout makes you think of Europa !
    And the illustrations are gorgeous !!!! Congratulations !
    (one little detail : the colors of the different realms could be stronger... i had difficulties to identifiy each realm...)

Yeah, it is as good as Max's in a different style (you put your mark on it Lady !) and the illustrated parts are a wonderful add-on. Great work Jess !