Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission 2019 : The Magrith Empire

Map Commission 2019 : The Magrith Empire

Hello fellow guilders !

Here is a continental map done for a web novelist, Obran, to illustrate his "Twice Lived" story.

An Eurasian size continent is mapped in a 3/4 perspective. A roman style civilisation, The Magrith Empire, is about to conquer all the liveable lands, by military and economic means.

Hope you like it.
    Cheers,
    Warlin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1551.JPG 
Views:	2951 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	117002  

Great work, Warlin
    I love the feel of this one.
    That compass is a great addition.

The map is simply outstanding ! I could never pull off such a perspective and this is just a part of the while awesomeness. Rich terrain depiction, the reliefs in the forests are great and the colors are amazing ! The use of the rhumbs and other geometrical lines in the sea just make it even better ! Tu t'es surpassé sur ce coup

Wow! This composition is kick-ass, man. The perspective together with the grid and ocean patterns... Absolutely fantastic! I personally would maybe have chosen a font with more of a sci-fi vibe, based on the design alone, but you make good old Windlass work here too.

A fabulous piece, all around, I love it!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

This is fantastic! As others have said, the perspective and rhumb lines are great, but I think my favourite detail is the relief in the forests. Some of the labels are a bit hard to read at this resolution (e.g city labels). I think this font works really well in this map, too.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Oustanding map Warlin.
    Love everything about the map, but the forests are especially great.

The style reminds me a bit of Caenwyr maps and i assume at the beginning that is one of his :/
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This one is special (in the best way !), without any doubt ! Very interesting perspective and light !

Great work! The way you did the shadow on the ends really gives this map a unique feeling

Cheers,
    Karl

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wow ! That one catch the eye !
    Good job with that perspective... It gives a hell of a dynamic to the whole map !

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Great work, Warlin
    I love the feel of this one.
    That compass is a great addition.
    Thanks, J. Guess which one of your map inspire me for this ? You're a master to us all ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The map is simply outstanding ! I could never pull off such a perspective and this is just a part of the while awesomeness. Rich terrain depiction, the reliefs in the forests are great and the colors are amazing ! The use of the rhumbs and other geometrical lines in the sea just make it even better ! Tu t'es surpassé sur ce coup
    Thanks Thomas.
    It takes me so much time to finish this map, that i have to give up adding more terrain depiction. Each map i begin is really difficult to finish now, I need to refresh my inspiration :-(.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Wow! This composition is kick-ass, man. The perspective together with the grid and ocean patterns... Absolutely fantastic! I personally would maybe have chosen a font with more of a sci-fi vibe, based on the design alone, but you make good old Windlass work here too.

A fabulous piece, all around, I love it!
    Thanks Kellerica. For the label, I can't find the fonts i which for it, so I took this old Windlass. Some day i will try myself at making my own fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    This is fantastic! As others have said, the perspective and rhumb lines are great, but I think my favourite detail is the relief in the forests. Some of the labels are a bit hard to read at this resolution (e.g city labels). I think this font works really well in this map, too.

Wingshaw
    Thanks Wingshaw. This relief for the forest was the hard task and finaly was pleasant to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Oustanding map Warlin.
    Love everything about the map, but the forests are especially great.

The style reminds me a bit of Caenwyr maps and i assume at the beginning that is one of his :/
    Thanks Voolf.
    Lots of good map makers all around, and you're one of my favourite (Caenwyr as well) ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    This one is special (in the best way !), without any doubt ! Very interesting perspective and light !
    Thanks Beee. I love playing with light and shade, it is more difficult for me to make good color choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Great work! The way you did the shadow on the ends really gives this map a unique feeling

Cheers,
    Karl
    Thanks Karl. I want to make this map pop out from the background, this simple shadow did the job.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Wow ! That one catch the eye !
    Good job with that perspective... It gives a hell of a dynamic to the whole map !
    Thanks Jo. I need to experiment new things to keep interest in map making.

This one was done with a wacom tablet, TheGimp and Inkscape for the labels.
    Thanks all for the rep and the gracious comments, it's allways a pleasure to come back to this forum.
    Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast