Thread: A set of 4 of my old maps.

Guild Novice

Map A set of 4 of my old maps.

Hey hey,
    I'm going to post a few maps since I'm new and have nothing up here.

The Republic of Wendia:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wendia-small.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	117391
    This map was made as somewhat of a parting gift to a friend. It shows a nation he made in a video game we had been playing. It's probably the most densly detailed map I've done but it's also the smallest. Standard old fineliner and some colouring pencils for the borders.

Forest & Hills:

Name:	foresthillssmall.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	117392
    This is another video game map of an old Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite area. It's A4 with the inclusion of illustrations of land and wildlife at the top, all done in fineliner. The original minimap was tiny and vague so I was running around fighting monsters just to get the details. It was a really fun time honestly, I felt like an explorer.

Sutton Park:

Name:	sp-final-resize.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	117393
    This map was a gift I made for my sibling. It's a nature reserve that we have both spent a lot of time at. It's in A3 with fineliner and took an awful long time. I used google maps to throw down the key locations and other general proportional stuff but I went and walked around the place for a few days to get some of the details like marshland, footpaths, and tree species. The coat of arms belongs to the adjacent town and was based on a plaque which adorns the garden of the oldest church in the area. Unfortunatley the paper quality was lower than my other works and there resulted in some ink bleeding, especially in the dense woodland areas. I decided not to add lines to edge of the lakes like with most maps because I was worried it would become overly cluttered. I'm not sure if that was the right decision because now the bodies of water are not obvious, however I still don't think I would take that risk. I did a lot of tests to try and find a way of drawing heathland but I could never figure one out in the end and I decided to just leave such places clear.

World of Spice & Wolf:

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	117394
    This was the first map I ever did many years ago. It's got lots of empty space, lots of mistakes and poor attempts to correct them. The worst part is the town of Ruvenheigen which in my infinite wisdom I drew in a completely different way from all the others. Live and learn I suppose, I'm still quite happy with it. It's a little smaller than A4 and like the others is fineliner and pencil.

I hope you guys like them and maybe they will be useful to someone out there.

It's a good start you have here, Oakdesk !
    Welcome aboard !

Welcome Oakdesk! The maps look great! Republic of Wendia is especially charming!

Blog Entries

Nice work ! Probably the kind of thing many book publishers would be wanting for their fantasy novels. You should keep an eye on the paid requests section.

Guild Novice

I'm really glad you guys like them, makes me want to go draw some more haha.

These are each very lovely. Welcome to the Guild, I look forward to seeing more of your work in the near future.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh