Thread: The continent of Aroa (For a friends D&D campaign)

Map The continent of Aroa (For a friends D&D campaign)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smaller.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	6.52 MB 
ID:	117015

Spent a little time on this one. Still working on refining a proper style, But up until now I haven't actually made that many maps.

The mountains look really nice. The rivers are laid out unrealistically. This is a common issue with beginning fantasy cartographers and there is a thread I recommend reading on how to get your rivers in the right place. The colors are very good, but the palette near Tollfel should not be visible on the final map. Your forest style works well with the mountains, in keeping the trees very small compared to the mountains, but then they get dwarfed by the buildings in the towns, so think it loses as much as it gains. I think it would work better in a style where the town locations were marked in a more abstract way. The way you included the water in the warming of colors toward the bottom of the map is a good touch that shows thoroughness.

Discuss

@rdanhenry I have read the link you posted and now see what you mean. For sure. Easy to find yourself thinking more about how trade routes effect kingdom laws and sizes and look over the basics. thanks for the suggestion.

Apart from the river issues, it's a pretty nice one! I'm always in favor of dark, murky color themes like this one.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hey!

I agree wholly with rdanhenry about the rivers and the palette still visible. There is something else to mention though... the Font you used for your text is nice, the readability might be a tad questionable. Like for example the top big mountain, I am still unsure what that first letter is, even after looking at it again now. So, it might be a good idea to just at least check if it can be understood for an outside viewer.
    Then, I will be honest here, you are off to a real good start with this map, though I don't think it is "Finished" yet. I would suggest that you come back to this map to change a few things and maybe add a few things.

Still, your theme is definitely on the spot to be a good one and your use of texture is nice. And apart from the rivers and the palette, for me, I feel what is added after this would be bonus, like adding a highlights and shading to the mountains to make them stand out more.

Good luck going forward!
    -Omri

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I like the map but I think the mountainous parts could benefit from a bit of contrast. As is, I fear the (pretty nice) lineart gets lost in the background dark color. Anyways that's a pretty nice start and I hope to see more from you. Cheers !

I agree with ThomasR, the linework ont he mountains is great, but would benefit from a bit of rendering. An attractive piece though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh