Thread: Maps and Genealogies for a new Dante Translation

Default Maps and Genealogies for a new Dante Translation

Hello! I am a translator of Dante (Purgatorio and Paradiso already complete and available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1095846280
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1548946788

) and looking for a cartographer to make cosmic maps, real-world inset maps and genealogies. I have all the materials made in the crude way I was able to: the research is done. Now I need someone to help me realize this project attractively.

I have no idea what the project should cost: I will be happy to send pdfs of the compete text, and all the graphics. This edition of Dante has all the footnote material worked poetically into the text, and the maps and genealogies necessary to understand particular passages (between twenty and thirty per volume) would be given right where they're needed for easy and immediate understanding of references.

If I can find someone who can do the job, and for a price I can manage, there are a couple of ways this could work:

We make a sample canto and shop this to publishers
    We make a sample canto and attempt to crowd-fund it.
    One entire volume is made and I pay for all, then send sample copies to universities with Dante courses in hopes of getting it adopted as a textbook, and shop it to publishers once it has some track record of course adoption.

My funds are limited, so I'd prefer to have a partner rather than a hire. There is also the chance that this version of Dante, the only one that's really user-friendly and not a slog through miles of footnotes and baffling references to medieval geography and royal families, could take off.

I have more questions than answers till I see what the interest and the costs are.
    And of course your interest in Dante and evaluation of the quality of the translation will be factors in your decision.

Please contact me if you're interested. Thanks.

Jacob Rabinowitz

hello jacob! sounds like a very ambitious project. welcome to the forums!