Thread: need advoce on what software to get

Default need advoce on what software to get

I need to make maps and genealogies for a translation of Dante's Purgatorio. It is being presented as a 14th century fantasy novel in verse, so the aesthetic is totally Tolkein. I have maps already, made by tracing public domain maps and labeling the rivers, cities &c. needed for each. Now I need some software that will allow me to take the graphics I have turn them into professional looking fantasy maps with mountains and rivers and compass roses and all the rest. Ditto for the genealogies: I need software that will make these please the eye of a serious gamer. Suggestions gratefully awaited!

Well the only think that I can suggest from personal experience would be wonderdraft but it is not free. Inkarnate has a free version but I don't think you will be able to do the style you want using it. If you can draw, Photoshop, Gimp or similar software would be your best bet.

Default Wonderdraft, Inkarnate?

Quote Originally Posted by Cédric H. View Post
    Well the only think that I can suggest from personal experience would be wonderdraft but it is not free. Inkarnate has a free version but I don't think you will be able to do the style you want using it. If you can draw, Photoshop, Gimp or similar software would be your best bet.
    I spent the entire day playing with gimp and reading tutorials. Traced the world according to Herodotus pixel by pixel, by then found myself unable to separate land from sea with a mask or selection (those little Greeek islands!) I think what I require is something with templates for globes and if possible for historical Europe. Though money is not something I can throw around lightly, for something that will get the job done I will pay a few hundred. Will look into Wonderdraft. Thanks for your reply!

Traced the world according to Herodotus pixel by pixel, by then found myself unable to separate land from sea with a mask or selection (those little Greeek islands!)
    You need to put the land and sea on different layers.

Other World Mapper has been serving me well in the short time I've been using it, although I don't find it a complete replacement for an image studio. It would definitely solve the issue with land and sea being stuck to each other.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!