Thread: August 2019 Challenge: The Halls of Dunweir

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Post August 2019 Challenge: The Halls of Dunweir

Okay, I'm throwing my hat in the ring as well. Don't know if I can finish it (commission commitments...) but I'll try!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random generated task.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	117098

All I'm changing is the name, 'cause Dunweir sounds way better to me than Dorwine.

Lineart stage, not finished yet. Upload will be 25% of the working file resolution.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Dorwine WIP1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	424.4 KB 
ID:	117099

You've certainly got the 'jagged peaks' part nailed!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Yeah, I like the name better too, and of course the art and everything is a perfectly great conceptional beginning, it looks wonderful.

Focus on your commissions, though, man, those are way more important. Commissions are 100% of the reason I have 0 badges. Clients pay you money. Clients are your job. Challenge maps should be saved for when you have 0 clients, want to try something you've never tried before, want to practice doing something you don't feel good enough at performing for clients, not something you do to escape doing almost exactly the same thing for someone else's vision. When the only significant difference between doing a challenge map and a client map is that the challenge map gets to be mostly your concept, it strikes me as a bit amateur to prioritize a fun challenge over a professional agreement.

I might be taking it a bit personally. It's not just because I too have commissions preventing me from finishing challenge artwork. Here's the rest of the story.

A while back I sent a client a sketch for a city painting and they told me to trash it all because they had hired a world/country map artist who did detailed city symbols which clashed with my vision, an artist who was admittedly better than me in my opinion. That client told me to stop all work until the other artist was done their work due to my toes being trampled and them wanting the paintings to match the map. I have not heard from them since. I assume it's possible I'll never hear from them again because that artist got their claws in and from my perspective they were superior in every way and I would definitely pick over myself. This however, could just be my anxiety voice.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure YOU are the other artist based on the art style. Your comment made me realize it's possible it might not be that the client is no longer interested in having me finish the city painting, but that the map commission with the city icons isn't finished yet. It deserves finishing and will be a bloody epic map once it's done. I think it encapsulates what the writer told me about his vision very well.

You would be able to verify this if it is the case as you would have referenced my art for your art on one of the icons.

So if you're just fussing around with this as a distraction from an admittedly much harder map for a client, git back to work. Your craft is solid, you hardly need to practice, but you do need to complete those agreements you've made. While I do think this map is quite lovely, I'd much rather you do your job as a professional cartographer.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I think we can all make our own decisions in what's more important to us.

And I think that starting image looks wonderful! I hope you'll manage to find the time to finish it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Yeah, I like the name better too, and of course the art and everything is a perfectly great conceptional beginning, it looks wonderful.

Focus on your commissions, though, man, those are way more important. Commissions are 100% of the reason I have 0 badges. Clients pay you money. Clients are your job. Challenge maps should be saved for when you have 0 clients, want to try something you've never tried before, want to practice doing something you don't feel good enough at performing for clients, not something you do to escape doing almost exactly the same thing for someone else's vision. When the only significant difference between doing a challenge map and a client map is that the challenge map gets to be mostly your concept, it strikes me as a bit amateur to prioritize a fun challenge over a professional agreement.

I might be taking it a bit personally. It's not just because I too have commissions preventing me from finishing challenge artwork. Here's the rest of the story.

A while back I sent a client a sketch for a city painting and they told me to trash it all because they had hired a world/country map artist who did detailed city symbols which clashed with my vision, an artist who was admittedly better than me in my opinion. That client told me to stop all work until the other artist was done their work due to my toes being trampled and them wanting the paintings to match the map. I have not heard from them since. I assume it's possible I'll never hear from them again because that artist got their claws in and from my perspective they were superior in every way and I would definitely pick over myself. This however, could just be my anxiety voice.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure YOU are the other artist based on the art style. Your comment made me realize it's possible it might not be that the client is no longer interested in having me finish the city painting, but that the map commission with the city icons isn't finished yet. It deserves finishing and will be a bloody epic map once it's done. I think it encapsulates what the writer told me about his vision very well.

You would be able to verify this if it is the case as you would have referenced my art for your art on one of the icons.

So if you're just fussing around with this as a distraction from an admittedly much harder map for a client, git back to work. Your craft is solid, you hardly need to practice, but you do need to complete those agreements you've made. While I do think this map is quite lovely, I'd much rather you do your job as a professional cartographer.
    I currently have no commissions for overland maps. But I have been doing this as a paid gig additionally to my main job for close to six years now, so you can trust me that I do know damn well what I need to prioritize. It's called "working on passion projects while you wait to hear back from the client whether or not they want some revisions done on that update you've sent them."

Getting left out in the rain by a client sucks (been there, more than once), but I can confidently say that I'm not the reason for your problems in this case.

Yeah, not going to make it this time.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Dorwine WIP2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	117322

Well that's unfortunate because it looks freaking awesome already.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

It does look freaking awesome already! The border detail is great.

Find me on
    DeviantArt