Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 2019 Challenge:The Floating World of Lindoriath

Default August 2019 Challenge:The Floating World of Lindoriath

I really wanted to do a world map and from my random generator, there was only one of them, so well, that was an easy choice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Random generator list.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	117102

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	v0.1 resized.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	117103

I'm not really sure how I will add the empire of Ettins to the map, but I hope something will pop in my mind along the way. At least there's jungle, lakes and a dwarven city already. Humans and maybe one Elven town are yet to come, as well as color (and those damn Ettins). The storm-wracked oceans aren't really part of Lindoriath, but is what the Lindorathians are trying to stay safe from by flying over it.
    Last edited by Ish_Joker; 08-19-2019 at 05:32 PM.

No idea why the thumbnail is my generator list and not the map, so I'll just add the same image again here.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	v0.1 resized.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	117104

Quote Originally Posted by Ish_Joker View Post
    No idea why the thumbnail is my generator list and not the map, so I'll just add the same image again here.
    The Thumbnail scrapper sees your list as just another image and if there are more than one image it randomly picks one.

Love what you have done with the map!

Nice work, and a really original way of mapping a world.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Let the war begin!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	V0.2 resized.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	5.57 MB 
ID:	117127

In the year 1454, Ettinoria - the realm of the Ettins - plots an invasion against the noble people of Lindoriath. The Ettins manage to float alongside the Lindorians and with long ropes and anchors they deploy a huge army on the Plains of Lindor in the east of the realm. Within days, the Ettins manage to capture several villages as well as the city of Wormgate, located at the edge of Mog's Jungle. Moshfall follows soon after as well as Worten's Keep, which surrenders after a short siege.

When the Ettins reach the Valley of the Elves, the Lindorian king Baruk III has assembled a great army of humans from Lindor, Modwick and Marshville, strengthened by a regiment of dwarves from Arfintozh and the elves from the Valley to defend the land of the elves and Iriel's Jungle right behind it. The two armies clash at the foot of the Golden Mountains and the battle lasts no less than three full days. King Baruk III and his Lindorians are victorious and the surviving Ettins flee back to their drop point. Many of them don't make it back to Ettinoria, but in their panic and desperation fall off the edge of Lindoriath and into the storm-wracked ocean underneath.

The day of this great victory is still celebrated every year and called Baruk's day. Baruk III himself has received an enormous statue from the elves as a token of their gratitude and the statue is still the main sight in Lindor, the capital of Lindoriath.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	v0.3 resized.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	9.09 MB 
ID:	117265
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v0.3 resized.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	9.09 MB 
ID:	117264  

This has been very well executed. I'll have to look closer to see if I can find anything to nitpic about.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Thanks!

I would know one thing, but I was hoping nobody would notice

Quote Originally Posted by Ish_Joker View Post
    Thanks!

I would know one thing, but I was hoping nobody would notice
    Hmm. That the big rocks are pixelated from you scaling them up?

It's a neat looking map concept. It reminds me of one of my favorite settings, the Death Gate Cycle, specifically the world of Air, where water was supposed to be pumped up to floating islands.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thank you Tiana! That's an interesting concept, that it's not just rivers falling down into the ocean, but also water being pumped up to the floating islands again instead of only having the rain to provide water.
    And indeed it's the big rocks being pixelated. Normally floating islands are relatively small, but I wanted one that carries a whole realm so I needed much bigger upside-down-rocks than I normally need. I was too lazy to scale them up separately and just made the Island with the rocks and shadows on a tiny map, then scaled it all up to a much larger map to fill up the lands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast