Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission: The Mist Villages

Default Commission: The Mist Villages

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted any new maps here, but I'm going to change that today. I have two commissions I've finished recently, and it's about time I post both of them...

This is a map of the Mist Villages, from the LitRPG series The Land by Dr Aleron Kong. The original plan was to make a series of iterative maps showing the location of the novel's story as it evolves over time, but this was changed to just a single map showing the setting before the town was established.

Painted entirely in Photoshop. It was a real challenge to get this looking right: giving the forests the right feeling was one of the biggest challenges I faced, along with the scale between mountains and other details. There are still parts I'm not too happy with, and other parts I like a lot (*ahem* mountains...)

As always, let me know what you think

Wingshaw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mist Villages 16 (FINISHED).jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	4.88 MB 
ID:	117155  

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

This is pretty awesome, Wingshaw! And I'd say you are rightly proud of those mountains, they look very good indeed. But i also think that your trees (and by extent the forests) look pretty good! A beautiful piece of art that you have here, it oozes flavor in spades, imho.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

The forest design is sooo good, Wingshaw. The way you did them makes it almost look as if this is a view from a satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    This is pretty awesome, Wingshaw! And I'd say you are rightly proud of those mountains, they look very good indeed. But i also think that your trees (and by extent the forests) look pretty good! A beautiful piece of art that you have here, it oozes flavor in spades, imho.
    Thanks Eilathen I imagine you'd be pretty knowledgeable about mountains, so that's high (no pun intended ) praise indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    The forest design is sooo good, Wingshaw. The way you did them makes it almost look as if this is a view from a satellite.
    Thanks Adfor. It took me a really long time to get them looking right

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    i love the rich detail of the forest
    Thanks Dr Who

Wingshaw

I wish I hadn't REPed your other map because now I can't REP this one and it is fantastic.

Those mountains are beautifully rendered! Really nice work on those! I think hand drawing/painting the forests (it looks like you may have used a stamp for these?) would have been a better way to go, given painterly nature of your mountains. But regardless, nice work on this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Really impressive, your forests ! They look so real !
    Good job !
    (just a question : is there a little problem with the horizon ? the sky looks white near the mountains at the center ?)

The map offers a breathtaking view ! I love your mountains that, for me, rival Vikings painterly style and I love your forest (that style is really great) but I'm not sure they work that well together. That being said, the map works and looks great so, maybe ignore my comment on mismatched styles.

It is glorious anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I wish I hadn't REPed your other map because now I can't REP this one and it is fantastic.
    Thank you Bogie. It's enough that you like the maps

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Those mountains are beautifully rendered! Really nice work on those! I think hand drawing/painting the forests (it looks like you may have used a stamp for these?) would have been a better way to go, given painterly nature of your mountains. But regardless, nice work on this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh. I think you might be right about the forests. I actually used a combination of custom brushes, seamless photographic texture, and a bit of painting to get that look. I agree that it's a bit mismatched with the mountains - perhaps that's the reason it doesn't quite sit right to me. But I am glad you like the map

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Really impressive, your forests ! They look so real !
    Good job !
    (just a question : is there a little problem with the horizon ? the sky looks white near the mountains at the center ?)
    Um, yeah... The white bits in the horizon are an oversight on my part. I should have tidied them up before finishing submitting the map, but I seem to have forgotten.

Thanks for the kind words, Jo

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The map offers a breathtaking view ! I love your mountains that, for me, rival Vikings painterly style and I love your forest (that style is really great) but I'm not sure they work that well together. That being said, the map works and looks great so, maybe ignore my comment on mismatched styles.

It is glorious anyways !
    As I replied to Arsheesh, I agree that the forests don't match the mountains. Oh well, live and learn I guess...

I'm really happy that my mountains are comparable to Viking's! He's one of my biggest inspirations on this site *blush* Thanks for the comment, Thom

Wingshaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast