Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
Maybe a pencil brush with a setting like the Wet brush in Photoshop (bords humides in French) will get you the same effect as your hand drawn map because the ornaments on that piece really look awesome (if I were you I'd do a mixed version, scan and digital add-ons with traditional looking brushes but ones gotta do what ones gotta do ).
Your suggestion of the 'wetpalette' made me wonder and I went and took a closer look at the picture I took of the handdrawn map.
I never noticed it before due to my diplopia but now I actively examined the picture I saw that there is a slight 'oilpaintish' filter over the picture. I probably did that by accident while trying to enhance the lighting and colouring to get the picture closer to the original : /
It will probably also be the cause of it appearing to have better lighting then the digital version, something I clearly do not recognise when looking at the original here on my desk.

I will try and make some comparison pictures (handdrawn and current digital) without changing anything to the picture as soon as I got some time to do so.

On a side note...I went on a google tour and got myself about 40-50 new brushes to experiment with!