Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice - Prailon

Map Practice - Prailon

Hi everyone, I got so inspired and excited by the lite challenge, the maps on the forums are so good! In the interest of getting better I started making a couple other maps at the the same time. Prailon is all kinds of corny, but I had such a fun time making this map and I hope to ride the wave for as long as I can. I've come to notice that trees, ornamentation and the border frame takes the longest, definitely something I want to look at getting better techniques for increasing speed at since it's not even in color!

If you have anytime, I'd appreciate any critiques on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prailon_small_tinted.png 
Views:	237 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	117231

Hi Pomb. Shattered Peaks are drawn at a different angle than Shattered Ridge, which makes them look kind of crooked, though maybe it's due to some geological process? I think using a grid would help avoid something like that. Your maps have superior line work and very good font use, which is why I voted for your entry in the last challenge, though you stated the map felt a bit unfinished. I agree the Crystal Island could have used a little bit of extra time, but it was still the best drawing. This new map has a similar feel to it, but it has a better composition.

Your drawing is high quality, your text is always legible and consistent, you don't use unnecessarily fancy fonts. You could try adding some texture and color to see if there's more room for improvement there, because your current style is already quite good.

I adore your work. Everything is very evenly portrayed. I think the B&W is perfect on its own, though I would be thrilled with a color pallette fitting the piece.

In regards to Kisachik's critiques, the Shattered Peaks do have a crooked look about them, but it's not entirely obvious, and could easily be remedied going forward if that was indeed unintentional.

Looking forward to more of your work, cheers!

IR

This map is really good Pomb. As Kisachik says, your linework and font use are very clean and polished, and they're useful skills to have. I really like the little villages and the towers that you have, and I think your mountains are simple but effective. The only part of the map where you lose me a bit is the area near the dead woods/bramble isle. It's a bit unclear, and the linework just feels a bit clumsy compared to other parts of the map. Colour would help enormously, I think, with this map.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi Pomb. Shattered Peaks are drawn at a different angle than Shattered Ridge, which makes them look kind of crooked, though maybe it's due to some geological process? I think using a grid would help avoid something like that. Your maps have superior line work and very good font use, which is why I voted for your entry in the last challenge, though you stated the map felt a bit unfinished. I agree the Crystal Island could have used a little bit of extra time, but it was still the best drawing. This new map has a similar feel to it, but it has a better composition.

Your drawing is high quality, your text is always legible and consistent, you don't use unnecessarily fancy fonts. You could try adding some texture and color to see if there's more room for improvement there, because your current style is already quite good.
    Thanks for the kind words Kisachik. I live in the Cape in South Africa and we have lots of mountains here, something I noticed on a drive is that the mountains rarely look, evenly sloped on both sides so tried to incorporate that, but I do agree that it looks off and unintentional.
    At this point I'm just trying to copy styles from other maps until it morphs and becomes my own. I don't particularly like the sea or the farm land lines in Prailon, but I'm sure it'll get better as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I adore your work. Everything is very evenly portrayed. I think the B&W is perfect on its own, though I would be thrilled with a color pallette fitting the piece.

In regards to Kisachik's critiques, the Shattered Peaks do have a crooked look about them, but it's not entirely obvious, and could easily be remedied going forward if that was indeed unintentional.

Looking forward to more of your work, cheers!
    Thanks Adfor! appreciate it, I think I'm going to try a couple more peices without trying to go color and texture because I'm still not confident in the placement of areas, or drawing buildings! I don't know where the points of interest should go so I'm keen to do a little research for my next map to try take climate / mountain formation into account for placement in more realistic positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    I really like the little villages and the towers that you have, and I think your mountains are simple but effective. The only part of the map where you lose me a bit is the area near the dead woods/bramble isle. It's a bit unclear, and the linework just feels a bit clumsy compared to other parts of the map. Colour would help enormously, I think, with this map.

Wingshaw
    Thanks Wingshaw! I still feel like I don't know how to draw buildings, for sure need to practice it some more maybe a city map will be a good exercise. I completely agree with you about the bramble isle / dead woods area, with fresh eyes today it seems like an over crowded zone, I'm going to try use a grid in the next piece to ensure a more pleasing distribution of features.

Fantastic lineart! I already like your style a lot, your buildings and the decorative border in particular look great. Now that Kisachik brought it up, I do see the point about the mountains' angle, but I can't say it really caught my eye on the first viewing. But it most likely is still a good point to consider.

I'd absolutely love to see this colored and textured, I think it could really bring it to a level of awesomeness.
    Great map, please keep 'em coming!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I like it really much, i´m looking forward for more of your maps.

Great linework!

Oh, I really love this one ! Interesting illustrations in the corners, lovely details everywhere. 'works well. 'works really well

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Fantastic lineart! I already like your style a lot, your buildings and the decorative border in particular look great. Now that Kisachik brought it up, I do see the point about the mountains' angle, but I can't say it really caught my eye on the first viewing. But it most likely is still a good point to consider.

I'd absolutely love to see this colored and textured, I think it could really bring it to a level of awesomeness.
    Great map, please keep 'em coming!
    Thanks Kellerica! practice practice, I'm definitely listening to these critiques, the guild is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayama View Post
    I like it really much, i´m looking forward for more of your maps.
    Thanks Ayama, I'm trying.. I can't wait to make a new map! I love that moment when you sucked into the flow and you just so fully absorbed by the process, then when your back hurts from hunching and your hand starts to cramp you know it's time to take a small break It's a good day when you have to re-heat your tea multiple times because you've been having so much fun mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great linework!
    Thanks Bogie, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'll keep on, maybe it'll get less shaky as we go eh

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oh, I really love this one ! Interesting illustrations in the corners, lovely details everywhere. 'works well. 'works really well
    High praise Thank you MistyBeee! I didn't have a story or background, or main idea, I just started drawing so overall I think it actually feels a little random, oh well, onto the next one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast