Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
Hi Pomb. Shattered Peaks are drawn at a different angle than Shattered Ridge, which makes them look kind of crooked, though maybe it's due to some geological process? I think using a grid would help avoid something like that. Your maps have superior line work and very good font use, which is why I voted for your entry in the last challenge, though you stated the map felt a bit unfinished. I agree the Crystal Island could have used a little bit of extra time, but it was still the best drawing. This new map has a similar feel to it, but it has a better composition.

Your drawing is high quality, your text is always legible and consistent, you don't use unnecessarily fancy fonts. You could try adding some texture and color to see if there's more room for improvement there, because your current style is already quite good.
Thanks for the kind words Kisachik. I live in the Cape in South Africa and we have lots of mountains here, something I noticed on a drive is that the mountains rarely look, evenly sloped on both sides so tried to incorporate that, but I do agree that it looks off and unintentional.
At this point I'm just trying to copy styles from other maps until it morphs and becomes my own. I don't particularly like the sea or the farm land lines in Prailon, but I'm sure it'll get better as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
I adore your work. Everything is very evenly portrayed. I think the B&W is perfect on its own, though I would be thrilled with a color pallette fitting the piece.

In regards to Kisachik's critiques, the Shattered Peaks do have a crooked look about them, but it's not entirely obvious, and could easily be remedied going forward if that was indeed unintentional.

Looking forward to more of your work, cheers!
Thanks Adfor! appreciate it, I think I'm going to try a couple more peices without trying to go color and texture because I'm still not confident in the placement of areas, or drawing buildings! I don't know where the points of interest should go so I'm keen to do a little research for my next map to try take climate / mountain formation into account for placement in more realistic positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
I really like the little villages and the towers that you have, and I think your mountains are simple but effective. The only part of the map where you lose me a bit is the area near the dead woods/bramble isle. It's a bit unclear, and the linework just feels a bit clumsy compared to other parts of the map. Colour would help enormously, I think, with this map.

Wingshaw
Thanks Wingshaw! I still feel like I don't know how to draw buildings, for sure need to practice it some more maybe a city map will be a good exercise. I completely agree with you about the bramble isle / dead woods area, with fresh eyes today it seems like an over crowded zone, I'm going to try use a grid in the next piece to ensure a more pleasing distribution of features.