Thread: Star Trek Maps (1980)

Default Star Trek Maps (1980)

i stumbled across this via reddit, but here are scans of the 1980 book star trek maps courtesy of Cygnus-X1:
    Star Trek Maps

Guild Apprentice

That is definitely a trip down a subspace lane of nostalgia in several ways!

Post Nice find...

Hello,
    Nice find. I'm looking forward to going through it.

John

The maps look wonderful, there's something appealing about the stars. Especially after the crew dragon astronauts are brought in.

Oh whoa, these are awesome.

Guild Apprentice Astrocartician's Avatar

A lot of work went into making these maps. For the cartography, Geoffrey Mandel tried to show star system positions in all 3 dimensions. He said later in an interview that he decided to make the later star charts in only 2 dimensions. I can't remember exactly why but apparently he did not think it made a significant difference. I suppose it was also much easier considering how much information he had to put on the star charts after the new tv shows and movies came out. The coordinates are correct for most stars except for a few in the small map of the original federation volume. But the attempt to make the maps truly accurate as to star positions and true to canon was impressive.

The maps are folded and put in the case which puts creases in them. However, about 25 years ago I saw someone selling ROLLED maps that had not been folded. They also had a set that had been in the smithsonian with the TV enterprise model.
    Last edited by Astrocartician; 10-29-2023 at 08:57 PM.