Thread: August 2019 Challenge: Karne

Default August 2019 Challenge: Karne

Hello guys,
    it's great to see many familiar participants and some new faces gathered here for this challenge! I'm joining you in the last minute - because I simply love doing speed mapping of some crazy fun idea from everybody's favorite Fantasy Random Generator

Here is the prompt I'm going after:

Karne, an ancient world of endless stairs filled with evil shrines and altars. The world is populated by dragons and other powerful magical creatures.

As usual, I'm aiming to create a map usable for a tabletop RPG adventure and this prompt just invites to be mapped as a large dungeon with some dark and evil iconography. To start this thread, I'm posting just the basic construction of the Karne temple complex, everything done in Photoshop CS3 on A3 (42x29.7 cm) international paper size document (at 300 dpi). Constructing the layout of Karne took me about 24 hours total, so I guess I'll have some line art to show in a day or two...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karne 01.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	117241

"So, adventurers, you hope to find the lost temples of Karne? Has it ever occurred to you that some places should stay lost?"
    - Augusta Morn, the Principal Archivist of the Order of the Sealkeepers -
    Last edited by Shall Teclex; 08-25-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Oooh, this is fun! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one pans out.
    And welcome to the challenge.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Heyyyy, it's ST! Always a pleasure seeing more work from you, I'll settle into my corner with a popcorn bucket ^^
    Last edited by Kellerica; 08-25-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I'm already lost.

Great job so far. Depicting a maze of stairs can't be easy. At least it wasn't when I tried one time and couldn't remember if I was going up or down. Hehe.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Haha, already crazy and already you. 'can't wait to see it finished !

Huh, now that's a fun idea. Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

It's time for a (very late) update of my entry - obviously, drawing of this map took longer than I hoped... Now, I would love to write more about the dark desires of Naest the Soulspoiler, dietary needs of Ezzenkit the Hearteater, or strange habits of other denizens of Karne, but I have to run to finish the border for this map and to try to add some dragon illustrations before the deadline...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Karne 02.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	117349

"Let me be clear: all the texts in the Archive should be expurgated of any mention of Karne and all maps of that dreadful place should be imediately destroyed."
    - Septimus Blair, the Principal Censor of the Order of Sealkeepers -

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Amazing piece, Shall Teclex! That's one heck of a complex prompt to tackle, especially as a fast map. I wouldn't be surprised if you get another gold medal.

Find me on
    DeviantArt

It's finished... No time left for illustrations of dragons, unfortunately, but I have a bunch of shrines and altars - and they are all very, very evil...

And thanks to everyone who commented on this map; my apologies for not replying, I was simply too busy building this dungeon... And Kellerica, I'm ready - make the popcorn, I'll bring the drinks, and let's roll some dice

### Winner ###

Name:	Karne 03.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	117364

"Alvin the Bard threw himself in the Pit yesterday. Now I am the last one left. But I can hear the voices from the depth, demanding my life, too... and I know that I won't be able to resist their chanting much longer. The archivist was right - this place should have stayed lost."
    - Breta the Healer, a member of the expedition to the lost temple of Karne -
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-04-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

You win, no words to describe how good this is!

Makes me think of Diablo 2's arcane sanctuary.

Cheers!

IR