Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Sept '19 Lite Challenge: Homer's Odyssey

The mountains are looking better and better!

The creation of this map is an Odyssey by itself, fantastic work so far Thomas!

Mind if I borrow your wave style for my map of Thra? They look amazing and I’d like to try them out

great start! i dig the textures and colours

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    The mountains are looking better and better!
    Thanks Bogie I hope they're done but I fear I'll have to adjust once I add the plateaus. Working from real geography and turning it fantasy is not as easy as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The creation of this map is an Odyssey by itself, fantastic work so far Thomas!

Mind if I borrow your wave style for my map of Thra? They look amazing and I’d like to try them out
    Thanks Mark I do not mind but they're from J.Edward and I've seen your work on the Dark Crystal map and it's gorgeous (plus your twist on the waves works wonders !).

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    great start! i dig the textures and colours
    Thanks DrWho42

As I said above, mountains are done, shaded and highlighted ... for now I've also added most of the real rivers (sorry Spain, I removed a lot from the plateaus). I'll proceed with plateaus and coastal details next.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Odyssée5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	117497

EDIT : if someone tells me that some parts of the river system don't make sense, don't blame me, blame Earth (actually blame me, it means I've not chosen my mountain placement well enough).

Wip

And a bit more. Still not sure how much time I'll have to finish so, canopy will be postponed for now. Forest placements are uncertain but I'm not sure I can do better without proper research and I haven't got the time.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Odyssée6.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	117542

Magnifique!!!
    I love it!!!
    With that map Odysseus would have find the road back to Ithaca so easely.

Quote Originally Posted by fol2dol View Post
    Magnifique!!!
    I love it!!!
    With that map Odysseus would have find the road back to Ithaca so easely.
    Merci Robin I'm trying to use my last hours of map-time (ma petite rôde trop près des écrans) to chose what to add to have it finished enough (I won't have time to get it where I want it so, the map will change before it is posted in the Finished Maps subforum).

Map

Maybe I'll have some more time tonight to add something and to explain a bit but it's not certain (my little girl is pretty demanding those days) so, here's a satisfying enough last version.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Odyssée7.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	117574

Any comment and critic are welcome but , once again, I'm not sure I'll have time to use them.

It was a fun ride

EDIT : I have a few minutes to explain some tiny bits.

Each entry of the key in the bottom right corner sums up one part of the Odyssey, one song. The numbers are the ones used before 700 BC (the siege of Troy is supposed to happen during the bronze age) and I cheated on the weapons, they were most likely not iron but bronze.

The map is not where I wanted it so, it'll have some changes before I call it done but it is finished enough for me to call it done for the challenge.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 09-14-2019 at 11:22 AM.

It looks amazing!
    I just think that the colors from the shield, the swords and maybe also the name are popping out a little too much, when I look at the map as a all, my eyes just want to go to that bottom left corner instead of focusing on the beautiful map.

Map

Quote Originally Posted by Cédric H. View Post
    It looks amazing!
    I just think that the colors from the shield, the swords and maybe also the name are popping out a little too much, when I look at the map as a all, my eyes just want to go to that bottom left corner instead of focusing on the beautiful map.
    Thanks a lot Cédric for this precious feedback ! I've stolen a few minutes and here it is.

### Winner ###

Name:	Odyssée8.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	117578
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-22-2019 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast