Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towers ... a big map

Map Towers ... a big map

Hey fellows,

Today, after two big maps I can finally post my biggest to this day and probably for a long time (seriously, it almost broke my computer !). It’s a 102x69 cm map for a private RPG party. The final .psd file weighs 1.68 Go and opens in about 20 minutes and that’s after I merged some layers to avoid hitting the file size limit (at a time I ran three separate files : one for the linenwork, one for the colors and shades and one for the added effects and locales), a real pain…

That’s also my longest work on a single map. I was commissioned to draw this one in March of 2018. It took me more than a year to complete. There are reasons to this.

First, I hugely misjudged the amount of work necessary (nearing 400 hours !). Second, at some point, I just couldn’t figure out how to continue the map. I used to open the file, stare at the screen for ten minutes and close it again. I just did not knew how to tackle such a big task anymore. It’s been a difficult, even a painful map for me but it is finally done and I took it where I promised the client I’d take it and then some.

You’ll be able to spot some fun locations on the map. Most of them weren’t client's demands. I proposed some visual adventure hooks and he gave me full liberty to invent stuff for his players. The only thing that were mandatory are the four towers (hence the name) which have a great importance for the game. He was very specific on the look of them giving me strong references. You’ll spot two that are (heavily) based on designs by Sapiento. I reached out to him explaining the problem and proposing to post the map without the towers and he was kind enough to give me permission to keep them so, many thanks Robert !

Had I to redo it, I’d draw my mountains smaller to have a better relief but what’s done is done and I’m pretty sure it would have killed me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tower final post.jpg 
Views:	3893 
Size:	5.40 MB 
ID:	117359
    © Thomas Rey - 2019 - All rights reserved

As usual, feel free to comment and critic, I’m always a taker of both (especially critics).

Cheers !

I have one MAJOR criticism, and that's that this map is just too good. It is offensively spectacular. Having seen it, I realize I may as well quit cartography now and go be a banana farmer instead.

HA ha ha, ok--in all seriousness, it's fantastic. And the dragons are my favorite bit.

Wow Thomas, a masterwork to be sure.

The floating island with the the transparent tower is awesome.

Cheers!

IR

That ocean texture is out of this world!
    Congrats on getting this monstrosity done - it sounds like it's been quite a challenge. I hope the client has the sense to be happy, the end result is outstanding and you seem to have gone out of your way to make it so.

Don't burn yourself out by too complex commissions, yeah? Maps are great and all, but not worth dying for
    Last edited by Kellerica; 09-01-2019 at 04:49 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The story of the map is as epic as the map itself ! What tenacity! The result is really worth all the sweat you've poured! It's just beautiful!
    Congratulations also on the addition of small details: doors, dragons, etc. It really adds something to the whole, it makes it possible to fix the eye in the reading!
    Your colours are also really beautiful: well supported, vibrant!
    I have nothing but praise for this map!
    With maybe just one little question (the pain ** *** *** guy who just comes to bother you): the lake to the northwest seems to feed two watersheds?
    Edit : my mistake ! I hadn't seen that it was two rivers, coming from the same mountain, one to the east, one to the west

To conclude, I would say that this map is, for the moment, the pinnacle of your style and that it alone shows the extent of your talent!

Congratulations!

edit : I'll have to come back for the REP... apparently, I gave you too much recently... Stop doing so much beautiful map !!!
    Last edited by - JO -; 09-01-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Congratulations on this excellent map, Thom! I'd like to say I hope you get yourself some well-earned rest after this, but I can see that you've already posted another finished map today, so I guess you just couldn't resist doing more great art

Aside from the epic scale of this map and the story of how it was done (sadly, I'm all too familiar with maps that take 12+ months, so I share your pain), I also want to just say that the drawing, colouring and textures are fabulous. I especially like the little drawings you scattered around it, and the way you presented the deserts. And that's not even mentioning the excellent compass rose...

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by LizardInk View Post
    I have one MAJOR criticism, and that's that this map is just too good. It is offensively spectacular. Having seen it, I realize I may as well quit cartography now and go be a banana farmer instead.

HA ha ha, ok--in all seriousness, it's fantastic. And the dragons are my favorite bit.
    Don't mess with me lady, you're a mistress of those little flamethrowers Thanks Jess !

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Wow Thomas, a masterwork to be sure.

The floating island with the the transparent tower is awesome.

Cheers!

IR
    Thanks Adfor I've gotta thank Moebius for the long hours of crystal study.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    That ocean texture is out of this world!
    Congrats on getting this monstrosity done - it sounds like it's been quite a challenge. I hope the client has the sense to be happy, the end result is outstanding and you seem to have gone out of your way to make it so.

Don't burn yourself out by too complex commissions, yeah? Maps are great and all, but not worth dying for
    Thanks Kell ! The ocean is pretty intense indeed. Funny story, at first I had a sepia ocean with very light touches of blue and the client was "meh" on the whole coloring of the map. I did this ocean without changing the other colors and he was completely satisfied. And the client IS very happy. He's been patient and I thank him for that. While I was blocked on this one, I was able to do some others so, no death risk hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    The story of the map is as epic as the map itself ! What tenacity! The result is really worth all the sweat you've poured! It's just beautiful!
    Congratulations also on the addition of small details: doors, dragons, etc. It really adds something to the whole, it makes it possible to fix the eye in the reading!
    Your colours are also really beautiful: well supported, vibrant!
    I have nothing but praise for this map!
    With maybe just one little question (the pain ** *** *** guy who just comes to bother you): the lake to the northwest seems to feed two watersheds?
    Edit : my mistake ! I hadn't seen that it was two rivers, coming from the same mountain, one to the east, one to the west

To conclude, I would say that this map is, for the moment, the pinnacle of your style and that it alone shows the extent of your talent!

Congratulations!

edit : I'll have to come back for the REP... apparently, I gave you too much recently... Stop doing so much beautiful map !!!
    Merci beaucoup Joël ! Having these tiny elements does help focus in this big mess indeed, thanks for noticing. I'm glad you like the colors, I feel it's more vivid than my usual. And no worries about the rep, your nice comment is all that matters

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Congratulations on this excellent map, Thom! I'd like to say I hope you get yourself some well-earned rest after this, but I can see that you've already posted another finished map today, so I guess you just couldn't resist doing more great art

Aside from the epic scale of this map and the story of how it was done (sadly, I'm all too familiar with maps that take 12+ months, so I share your pain), I also want to just say that the drawing, colouring and textures are fabulous. I especially like the little drawings you scattered around it, and the way you presented the deserts. And that's not even mentioning the excellent compass rose...

Wingshaw
    Thanks George ! I thought about you a lot with this one knowing you're familiar with long projects. Did you encounter this kind of block too ? I gave more attention to textures on this one, especially with the deserts, the metal rendering in the compass and the molten metal effect of the title, I'm happy you deem them worthy Cheers mate !

I've been looking forward to seeing the full map of this ever since I first saw the illustration of the red dragon along the mountain top over on your Insta page. I have to say I think this one rivals your Valtoria map, the two pieces being my favorites of your work to date. There's quite a bit to love about this piece: the detailed rendering on the compass, the detailed linework, the vivid color palette (and nice complementary color scheme of the sea and map border/title). But my favorite elements are all of those tower and dragon illustrations. Each is unique and evocative. All of the hours of work you put into this piece really shows. It may have been a labor of love, but you've given birth (if you'll allow the metaphor) to something beautiful. Well done my friend.

Cheers
    -Arsheesh

Great map in every aspects. I love those volcanoes and dragons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast