Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Prien

Wip West Prien

I've found myself overthinking when all I want to do is practice drawing maps, after this I'll just try my hand at mapping some real life location so that I can narrow focus even more, but till then. I've started a handful of practice roughs and this sketch was the most fun, so will take this to a cleaner stage.

I appreciate any and all critiques.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_01.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	117418

Well, nothing to criticize. It looks very promising.

Wip

Thanks Ilanthar.

I've lost quite a bit of the movement on the land during the clean up, which I want to bring back when laying in the next round of details.
    I've made grey scale color blocks for quick selection of the large areas for a possible stab at a color version... oh noes, please help us all!

Name:	WP_02.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	273.7 KB 
ID:	117432

i love the appeal of the handdrawing in the first post. So i am really looking forward to your updates.

Wip

Thank you Levtrona.

This has been a fun map so far, but I find myself rushing at times and then the work starts getting sloppy, I should really stop and take a break when those moments arise.
    I don't have a reason to have the plate in the bottom border anymore, I was going to key number the town/castles there but ended up making banners. I think I might add houses with sigils or something to make use of it. Still quite a bit of details left to do, and a shadow pass.

Name:	WP_06.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	117452

Wip

I'm still trying to figure out what to fill the empty spaces with...
    I've found now that it would have paid to have spent time being more careful making initial flats for accurate selections. I'm going to need to go through with a final pass cleaning up all the sloppy edges.

Name:	WP_07_sml.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	389.5 KB 
ID:	117459

You're missing an "F" in "EMBER CLIFS".

looks promising! laughing jungle reminds me of a novel

I’ve enjoyed looking at all the progress pieces. The choice of colour and your layout really add to the ‘atmosphere’ of the mapped area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomb View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what to fill the empty spaces with.
    You could try putting in some points of interest like ruins, farms or idols.
    And take your time and enjoy creating your world, the process should be as enjoyable as the endresult

Seeing the progression is really cool. Looks good!

One suggestion would be the start of the rivers in the mountains could be improved. They look like they mysteriously emerge from the mountains, rather than being fed from a catchment area. A river looks kind of like a root, with lots of branches near the mountains which feed it, and then collecting into a main path that goes downhill.

I found a pretty cool map of some real-life rivers that demonstrate this quite nicely! (attached)

Name:	SA_rivers_300_corrected.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	117468

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast