Thread: Aug/Sept '19 Lite Challenge: << Map Without Words >>

Default Aug/Sept '19 Lite Challenge: << Map Without Words >>

While I know many of my fellow guilders found inspiration for this month’s challenge relatively quickly, I struggled for quite some time. It’s not that I’m not a music fan, by any means! On the contrary, I often wonder how much of my brain is allocated to memorized song lyrics alone. In the end, my inspiration came from a pretty unlikely place: classical music.

Between the years 1825 and 1849, Felix Mendelssohn composed a series of unique "songs" that were published in eight volumes with six songs in each. What makes the songs so unique is that they lack any lyrics or vocal part of any kind. Instead, Mendelssohn composed them to be played completely on the piano while utilizing many of the more popular song forms of the time.

Taking my queue from Mendelssohn’s works, I’m happy to present my Map Without Words. I allotted space for national, city, and other kinds of labels, but deliberately left all of them off. Furthermore, I nixed the distance and direction indicators from the compass and scale at the bottom right of the map. For further inspiration, I even listened to Mendelssohn’s Songs Without Words while I worked. Here’s a link to one of my favorites:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-eu9q_yUU

I hope you enjoy my Map Without Words! Let me know what you think, if you have a chance. All comments, commendations, and criticisms accepted!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapWithoutWords - WIP1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	650.7 KB 
ID:	117564

I can dig it. Sneaky/brilliant approach to the challenge prompt.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Welcome to the Challenge mxerbach! You have a unique approach to this map.

Beautifully rendered. I also picked an instrumental song, but I'm not sure I'll be able to finish my map before the deadline.

I think your map title could use a bit more spacing between the words, they appear to be overlapping a bit because of the fancy serifs. Also the brown border is pretty distracting; the saturated color and the gradient makes it look 3-dimensional. If anything draws attention in a piece of work, I don't think it should be the framing.

The rest of the map is very nice and clean, one of the best for this challenge so far.