Thread: Sketched Town

Guild Novice

Default Sketched Town

This is my first attempt at a sketch of a simple town. I thought I could use it for a game or a generic encounter point, something like that. I also thought about inking it in, but not just yet. I think I need to work on my abilities before I do that. Also, check out my Pinterest page, I don't know if I am making the right stuff, but any feed back would be great. Thank you all.

-Mike

https://www.pinterest.com/mmontoya0307/_created/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketched Town.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	852.7 KB 
ID:	128904  

Hi Mike

For a first attempt, this is looking pretty good really. I like that you have put shadowing on the roofs to show that they are pitched. I also like the thickness of your town wall, people sometimes make these a bit thin but real city and castle walls are generally quite thick. Also, I really like the compass roses you have on your Pinterest, these are great elements to add to any map.

A few things to work on in future maps, if you also put shadows on the ground beside the buildings and wall this really helps to ground them in the scene and you can also use the shadow size to indicate how large the object is. Also, I notice that your roof shadowing isn't on a consistent side on all your buildings, when you start drawing shadows on an image you want to decide which direction the light is coming from and draw all the shadows to be consistent with this (I generally draw it as coming from the top left corner).

You may also find this resource quite helpful, It's well with a read and is extremely helpful when you're trying to achieve a realistic scale on maps of any size.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Guild Novice

Awesome!
    Thank you so much for the feedback! I really want to start focusing on my world, regional, and town maps and all the help I can get is always helpful. I'll keep everything in mind for my next town. Thanks again!

-Mike