Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magran

Map Magran

Presenting you the land of Magran. (Map in attachments, in the end of the post.)

In short:
    - Depicts a fictional country of Magran with parts of its neighbouring countries.
    - Completely hand drawn, coloured and lettered with pen on paper
    - Drawn mostly with Micron pens for lines and texts and Copic markers and Promarkers for colours.
    - 30 cm x 32 cm (11.7’’ x 12.6’’) in size

The map was finished already in March, but there has been all kinds of things going on, so I didn’t manage to post the finished map earlier. However, it’s not so long time considering I started the map in October 2017 and it took 17 months to draw the map from the beginning to the end. The drawing was a very long process and you can read more from it from the WIP thread here.

A great amount of time with this map went to deciding how to do it, as it was the first time I tried to do such a detailed work. I’ve bought many new pens and tools during the process and drawn dozens of test maps considering labeling styles, city icons, and especially the colours. I took months to find the right pens and colours. The style of the map is based on multiple 1950’s atlases. Most important inspiration was an atlas by John Bartholomew & Son Ltd, which was published in Finland 1959 under the name Kolumbus Maailmankartasto.

The contents of the map are based on some earlier, quite rough maps, which I have introduced shortly here. The coastlines and general topography as the locations of major cities and borders are based on the earlier maps, but the details and everything else is designed and planned for this map.

Most of the effort for the map went to the place names. Every name in the map is written in local language, and I created all the six different languages for this map. I have no translation or explanation for all of the names but quite many of them, so that the names would sound plausible. I kept track of all the labels I wrote, and the total number of labels in the map is 951. From these, 741 are for cities, towns and villages. The labeling was quite time consuming and it took ten months of the project (yes, I know, it’s a bit crazy). I did consider digital colouring and labeling at some point but I think in the end it was worth it doing everything by hand.

I tried to be as realistic as possible when creating the map, considering geology, geomorphology, settlement history, roads, borders and well, everything. The map is made so that the place could be from our earth, and looking at the graticule it can be placed on the globe, in fact. I have not written long backstories but I have in my mind some sort of explanation for most of the places, why they are there and what is happening in different places. The history of the nations is connected to the languages, place names, road networks and so on.

I made the map just for myself, for practice, to have a good looking map. Just before it was finished, I applied to a local art exhibition for young artists in Häme area in Finland, and happily Magran was chosen to be one of the artworks exhibited. So, the map was in the exhibition whole April. Here is a contactless scan made after the exhibition, with a bit reduced size.

Thank you for those of you who commented and helped me during the project! It was really nice to share the progress here, and it helped to carry the project to the end. Also thanks for all of you who commented through Instagram, where I also have shared the process. If you have any comments or thoughts, I would be happy to hear them! (If interested, I’m in the process of opening an Inprnt shop where this map would be available too.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magran_vari_CG_jpg.jpg 
Views:	894 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	117627  
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

That map is spectacular!!! I am astounded at how well you have executed the style, and the amount of thought you clearly gave to the design of the map (layout, names, geography) is also phenomenal.

(I also appreciate knowing the statistics about your labels )

Congratulations on completing this amazing map, and being included in the exhibition

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Holy moly. That is just so well done. Congrats on getting it completed, it's quite an accomplishment.

Blog Entries

Wow thats an amazing map considering its hand drawn. Maybe a contender for the annual awards ! Very well done.

It's splendid! I'm a sucker for this kind of old school atlas maps. It's soooo long to do something like this, so my respect!

This is one of the most spectacular maps I've seen here in a while - it's so easy for me to get lost in it, looking at all the little details and tracing trips on the roads! I'm especially impressed that you did it all by hand. Congratulations on the exhibition, too.

I can't rep you yet - guess I've got to spend more time on the Guild forums instead of just watching the Twitter feed! But you deserve all the rep you can get for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    That map is spectacular!!! I am astounded at how well you have executed the style, and the amount of thought you clearly gave to the design of the map (layout, names, geography) is also phenomenal.

(I also appreciate knowing the statistics about your labels )

Congratulations on completing this amazing map, and being included in the exhibition

Wingshaw
    Thank you Wingshaw! I'm happy you think so because I really used a lot of effort in having the right style. I can tell more about the statistics if you like, however I don't have the numbers here now, so maybe I'll do that later.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Holy moly. That is just so well done. Congrats on getting it completed, it's quite an accomplishment.
    Thank you Falconius! I'm also happy to have it finished, it took so long that sometimes I wasn't sure whether I'll ever get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    this looks very intricate! bravo
    Thank you DrWho42!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Wow thats an amazing map considering its hand drawn. Maybe a contender for the annual awards ! Very well done.
    Thank you Red, I'm glad you think so!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's splendid! I'm a sucker for this kind of old school atlas maps. It's soooo long to do something like this, so my respect!
    Thank you Ilanthar! I've always loved old school atlas maps and I think this map was some kind of tribute to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    This is one of the most spectacular maps I've seen here in a while - it's so easy for me to get lost in it, looking at all the little details and tracing trips on the roads! I'm especially impressed that you did it all by hand. Congratulations on the exhibition, too.

I can't rep you yet - guess I've got to spend more time on the Guild forums instead of just watching the Twitter feed! But you deserve all the rep you can get for this one.
    Thank you jshoer, that means a lot to me! Despite being my own map or maybe because of that, I also like to just explore the map and imagine the places, and trace roads for different trips.
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Congrats on finishing this epic map! nothing else to say, it's amazing.

Just incredibly executed for a hand drawn map, you have all my admiration!

Cheers!

IR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast