Yeah pretty much that'd be my approach at this point if I were going to make a world map. But I'm sure there are quite a few approaches to this. What I often see occur here however is people start enthusiastically building a world map, starting with the tectonics to get the land forms from that, start in on climate and then pretty much stop working on the world. They get lost in the detail and then it gets boring.

Vorropohaiah is making a detailed world atlas (Atlas Elyden) and I can't quite remember how he started it (I think he might have been very detailed in order to provide foundation for the rest of his work), but I'm guessing his success in staying at it is by mapping it region by region or country by country as they interest him. He is the only one I can think of who's done this though. I can think of a quite few people who've had more success starting as I described, and even more who just map small things as they interest them one at a time and then stitching them together later on as sort of a patchwork world. I think it really depends on how much of an outline or direction you want to give yourself at the beginning, the more detail you lay out the more boring it will likely be for you and also the more locked in you are to a particular creation, however you'll have a much clearer understanding of the overall direction of the map and of things you want to tackle next and pretty strong overall cohesion at the end (cohesion which might either be a curse or a blessing).