Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aelwydi

Default Aelwydi

It has taken a while working through various continents but here is the full world map of the world I have been building.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aelwydifinal.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	6.58 MB 
ID:	117847

Special thanks to everyone who offered help in the WIP thread which you can find here as well as those on the guild discord who gave advise as well. I used one of KMAlexander's brush sets for the mountains and a modified version of this for the sea pattern.

If I can figure out how I'll put up a collected album of all the maps for my world on my profile.

This is such a nice map elegance and simplicity with just enough detail and information to satisfy.

Agree, Nice work QED. Very elegant.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I agree with what the others said. The map has a unique feeling. Not that much detail to it, but it make me curious about places and i want to explore. So i guess one of the goals of a map is certainly met

Is there lore for this world of yours? I'd love to see it if you are willing to share!

And a collected album is always a good idea, I'd love to see it.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Lovely result, QED

This turned out great.
    I really like the warmth in it.

I think I figured out how the album stuff works on here, all the maps from my world so far are now in one place here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    This is such a nice map elegance and simplicity with just enough detail and information to satisfy.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Agree, Nice work QED. Very elegant.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I agree with what the others said. The map has a unique feeling. Not that much detail to it, but it make me curious about places and i want to explore. So i guess one of the goals of a map is certainly met

Is there lore for this world of yours? I'd love to see it if you are willing to share!

And a collected album is always a good idea, I'd love to see it.
    Thanks for the kind words. There is lore but right now it is just a bunch of notes that aren't very well organised. I have been putting off writing it up because I can't find a good way of laying stuff out that makes sense.

I'll try and give a short version here. When the world was created the Elves were given the world above ground to rule and the Dwarves the world below ground.

The hells are literally at the centre of the world and the Dwarves fight The Eternal War to stop the legions of hell breaking out through the Underdark onto the surface. To aid them in their fight the Dwarves have some natural magic resistance but are forbidden from dabbling in the arcane arts, those that do start to turn to stone from the feet up the more they use arcane magic.

Meanwhile on the surface the Elves decided to build a huge empire that spanned the world and experiment with magic making themselves more powerful. The Elven empire lasted the first two ages of the world and was brought to an end by The War in Heaven which killed off nearly all the gods in a quarrel over what to do with the Elves. In the end the Elven homeland was destroyed along with most of the gods. The first two ages were called The Spring Court and The Summer Court by the Elves, representing the dynasties that ruled the empire.

Now the world is 2000-3000 years removed from the end of the Elven empire, humans are the most common race but there are plenty of other mortal races knocking about mixed in with the human populations. The first two ages of the world each lasted around 2000-3000 years but a lot of that history is lost so no one is really sure if the world is at the end of the third age or in the fourth age already. The big debate in what remains of the Elves is if the world is still in what would be the time of The Autumn Court or if it is already the time of The Winter Court and what the end of The Winter Court might mean for the fate of the world.

That is the brief history and general overview of what happened in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Lovely result, QED
    Your comments in the WIP thread helped a lot so credit to you Mouse!

Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    This turned out great.
    I really like the warmth in it.
    Glad to hear you like it, your brush sets really help those of us that can't draw at all!

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    a lovely map. beautiful framing!
    Thank you!

Yup, this turned out great. Solid color theme, consistent style, and the embellishments work well. Well done QED. Well done indeed.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    I'll try and give a short version here.

*snip cool stuff*
    Thanks for sharing! I always love to see what other worldbuilders do for their own settings. If you want to talk about that stuff, I'm always game.
    Not sure if there is an appropriate subforum here on the guild, but if there isn't, there really should be.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast