Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
ewww boy, I'm tempted - Is that really Corel Painter they are selling there?

Also, I'm guessing they are an annual fee to stay current - Is it the full 429.00 every year?

I've been thinking about dropping my Adobe subscription because it's kind of ridiculous and I used Corel Painter last year on a demo for one of my maps and quite liked it.
Yes, it's kind of ridiculous.

They make their money because eventually they won't have just Corel Painter 2019, they'll have like, Corel Painter 2025 and it'll have a feature you can't live without and you'll buy a new copy to upgrade. Or you'll go to their marketplace and buy brushes and stock art. The same way programs used to make money before they started putting on the Cabal TV oops I mean Cable TV subscription models instead.

I won't pay a subscription fee for a program. One and done for that version. I respect having it available as I know some people can't muster up multiple hundreds of dollars for a program, or thousands in some cases, and just need it briefly. But then it should be a rental, not a subscription. Subscriptions by their nature exploit people like me, who are a bit forgetful and say, let a gym membership run for a year still being paid because I didn't notice and I'd changed gyms and arugh.

So that's why I won't do subscriptions. I feel like they're exploitative. I don't mind a key rental program where you get a key for a year and after that, you can choose to rent it again. That's not designed to exploit auto-withdrawals and "convenience for you" features.

I need a new video editing program on my Windows machine (I bought one for my Mac about two months before I bought a Windows PC... ARGH) so I might do the $35 CAD bundle since it comes with Painter (I don't need it but it would be fun to tinker with) and a video editor. I basically just want Pinnacle Studio... oh well, it would still be a significant cost reduction and since I'm no longer using Adobe Photoshop it's nice to have options. I got Affinity as one option (a single payment as well). And Clip Studio (single payment) and obviously all these companies are still afloat. Also Krita (free).

So ultimately I think subscriptions are just about long term scraping money out of people and this is a pretty awesome bundle. Thanks for sharing it. I might grab it. I mentioned it to another digital artist friend who might grab it as well (he's looking for good digital watercolor right now).