Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Random sketches - Inktober2019

All of these are just wonderful pieces, Lyandra
    It's been a pleasure to see all of these so far.
    Look forward to more this month.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    These are all really lovely pieces. I especially like the cute animals. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you, Arsheesh! I think I will do more maps with the critters this month, I really enjoy drawing them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    These are wonderful!
    Thank you, ChickPea! I'm glad you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Cute names on the latest ones! Fun fact, I actually grew up near a place called Kurkela.

These continue to be a delight, I'm always glad to see cartographers jumping in on Inktober.
    Thank you so much, Kellerica! Your comment put a huge smile on my face. It was lovely to get someone from Finland comment on the names, I thought they were cute as well. I think I came up with the name of Kurkela while poring over the 18th century maps of Finland, so it definitely was a real place name I borrowed for my map. I liked how it sounds. While making the last map I couldn't help myself and looked up some more finnish words, taking care with the meanings, it's such a beautiful language and I love naming features on my maps in it. The people there probably speak it, or something resembling Finnish at least. ^^

I'm really happy that I've decided to take part in Inktober this year, I'm really enjoying myself and I think I've learnt a lot along the way... It's often hard for me to keep up, but it is definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    All of these are just wonderful pieces, Lyandra
    It's been a pleasure to see all of these so far.
    Look forward to more this month.
    Thank you, John! Your comments give me strength to continue. ^^ I really hope I manage to create more.

Map

Map of Hakeneia. I might add labels at a later date, but I like how it looks now as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inktober2019_Day10_Hakeneia_small_byLyandra.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	799.2 KB 
ID:	118078

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    Thank you so much, Kellerica! Your comment put a huge smile on my face. It was lovely to get someone from Finland comment on the names, I thought they were cute as well. I think I came up with the name of Kurkela while poring over the 18th century maps of Finland, so it definitely was a real place name I borrowed for my map. I liked how it sounds. While making the last map I couldn't help myself and looked up some more finnish words, taking care with the meanings, it's such a beautiful language and I love naming features on my maps in it. The people there probably speak it, or something resembling Finnish at least. ^^
    It's interesting to see one's native be so inspiring to people who haven't grown up surrounded by it. I feel almost flattered!
    Let me know if I can ever help with translating things! Finnish doesn't always fare well with automatic translators due to the grammar's oddities.

And nice work on the latest one, I love how the rivers look here!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Awesome job. I love it!!

Del

I love the little ears and the backpack
    These are wonderful sketches!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    It's interesting to see one's native be so inspiring to people who haven't grown up surrounded by it. I feel almost flattered!
    Let me know if I can ever help with translating things! Finnish doesn't always fare well with automatic translators due to the grammar's oddities.

And nice work on the latest one, I love how the rivers look here!
    I think it has to do with not understanding the meaning of the words, one then tends to focus more on how each word sounds unlike in one's first language... There we are just too used to the sounds and listening only for the meaning. Or that's part of it at least. Though fascination with something different and unknown probably plays a huge part as well...
    Thank you so much for offering to help with translations, that's very kind of you! I just might find the courage to try to construct more difficult place names now that I know I have someone to consult. Until now I've been using only simple nouns out of fear of making silly mistakes or creating names that will scare off all native speakers. ^^ You are right, the automatic translators are a nightmare if you want to be sure that what you've written makes sense, it's probably even worse with more difficult languages like Finnish...

And thank you for your comment on my last map!

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Awesome job. I love it!!
    Thank you, Del!

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    I love the little ears and the backpack
    These are wonderful sketches!
    Thank you, Chashio! The critters are always fun to draw.

These are all amazing. I'm astonished that you do each in a day!

They almost string together into a story...

Excellent! And I'm with Joseph about your speed .
    Keep them going .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123