Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City of Ostmark

The colours , detail and ornamentation are amazing. Inspiring ,)

Wow. And Wow again.

I do agree with KMAlexander's re the key etc. I too prefer labelling to have order and consistency. On my Fioracitta Regional Map, I labelled it sequentially (as much as possible) from East to West, as that's the order the city was built in...
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Fabulous Beee!!! Simply Marvelous!! Incredible amount of detail!

I agree with what others have already said, this is an amazing piece. I really love all the extra artwork around the map too.

Very well done.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Spectacular map! The city is such detailed and authentic. I really appreciate the textures and almost monochrome color scheme, which gives the map a gloomy look. However, I think it's sometimes a bit difficult to spot the bigger buildings, they could deserve to be seen better!
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

As others have said. I'll join the chorus by just saying bravo!

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Absolutely stunning level of detail. Your cities are always great and this is no exception! I also like the layout of the city a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Another monstrosity of a city! How you are able to do these without going insane, I'll never know

The perspective is, yet again, impressive as all hell, and the colors (or lack of them, almost) work very well. What really knocks this one out of the park for me are the title scrolls, though - what gorgeous details! Wonderful treatment on the title too. Nice typography.

I maybe personally would have given the river some sort of a color treatment to better help the land to pop out a little better?
    Thanks, Kell, but... but... who said I'm not insane ? ^^'
    I tried to color the river, but at the end it didn't had the result I expected and wanted for this map : or the color wasn't good, or the river unbalanced the ornaments. Probably because of all the daemons I drew, this map is very capricious ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodowech View Post
    Neat little town i‘d say, isn’t it?

Nah, of course i‘m joking Am i wrong, or is this one even larger than Kingkel? In any case, it’s another spectacular masterpiece, it really has everything that one could wish for in a town of that size, and the sepia tones of the background give it a really noble look.

Fantastic work Misty, once again!
    Thank you Jakob ! ^^
    Kinkgel is definitely bigger : 17x12 inches, and twice the population, as far as I remember ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I won't even comment the quality of the map, it is beyond this world but I really feel you upped your game (if it was even possible) on the shading/highlights part. What you have here is really amazing and the colors you chose give the whole map an ominous feel that I really dig. Prosternons-nous devant les joyaux de la déesse des cartes
    Always glad you love my work, Thomas !
    The lightning/shading wasn't supposed to be done on this map but I couldn't resist and I don't regret ^^

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    What a gorgeous map, Beee.
    I am going to wander around your city for a bit today.
    So much to see.
    Hehe ^^
    'was a fun and interesting one to draw, so I'm happy if you love it !

Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    This is fantastic.

I'm still a little wary of critiquing here, so feel free to ignore me as necessary, but I'd love to see a bit more attention applied to the viewer as it correlates with the legend. As it stands, most westerners read left to right, and it'd be handy to link the A > B > C > D... in a pattern that makes it easy to follow. Right now it kind of jumps all over the place, A > B > C > G or A > B > J > C > G most of the time we're taught to look for the next letter in the alphabet sequence and when that gets disrupted it interrupts the flow makes it a bit harder to follow.
    Ha ! ^^
    You know what's funny ? I'm usually extremely picky with this, because I hate unsorted letters on a map, for the exact same reason than you. It's probably the first time ever I don't rearrange them on a map. My only excuse is being extremely tired, extremely late in my work, and having some specific instructions from the client, including the map was supposed to be messy and intricate to give the reader the feeling (s)he could easily be lost in. Let's say the daemons mixed the labels to confuse the reader

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    i dig the intricacies of the buildings and layout
    Thanks Who ! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    That is a magnificent piece, Beee! Gorgeous work!
    Thanks so much, Kaitllin ! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Wow, my drawing hand hurts just looking at all those houses! Incredible lineart, Bee!
    Thanks Wired ! My hand was fine, but it's not the same for my neck ^^'

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    What a magnificent piece! The amount of detail in this map is staggering. The whole piece is beautifully drawn, and nicely rendered. The title, compass rose, key and border are all really well designed as well. This is a masterpiece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks so much, Arsheesh ! Those ornaments were some of my favorite to draw. I usually have to struggle a lot for my compass, but this one just popped all by itself

Quote Originally Posted by michaelgo View Post
    The colours , detail and ornamentation are amazing. Inspiring ,)
    Thanks Michael ! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Wow. And Wow again.

I do agree with KMAlexander's re the key etc. I too prefer labelling to have order and consistency. On my Fioracitta Regional Map, I labelled it sequentially (as much as possible) from East to West, as that's the order the city was built in...
    Thanks Damon ! As answered to Alexander, I agree with both of you and have no good excuse for having beein lazy here, except being tired, and accepting unsorted labels were a part of the general spirit of the map ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Fabulous Beee!!! Simply Marvelous!! Incredible amount of detail!
    Oh, thanks so much, Bogie !! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I agree with what others have already said, this is an amazing piece. I really love all the extra artwork around the map too.

Very well done.
    Thanks Jax ! I enjoyed a lot drawing those ornaments. Sometimes it's a pain, but for this one is was just pleasure ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Meton View Post
    Spectacular map! The city is such detailed and authentic. I really appreciate the textures and almost monochrome color scheme, which gives the map a gloomy look. However, I think it's sometimes a bit difficult to spot the bigger buildings, they could deserve to be seen better!
    Thanks Meton ! Actually, it's volunteer if the major buildings are 'hidden' in the crow : this was the whole concept of the map, from the client initial pitch. By the way, I think he would have loved to have even narrower streets and a more confuse layout ^^'

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    As others have said. I'll join the chorus by just saying bravo!

Wingshaw
    Thanks so much, Wingshaw ! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Thanks, Kell, but... but... who said I'm not insane ? ^^'
    I tried to color the river, but at the end it didn't had the result I expected and wanted for this map : or the color wasn't good, or the river unbalanced the ornaments. Probably because of all the daemons I drew, this map is very capricious ^_^
    I figured you might have tried that already. It's a great piece nonetheless! And I think that's fair, we're all a bit mad over here...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

How meticulous ! So many details ! And how talented you are to age this map ! You'd swear it'd be right out of the archives!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast