To me, world maps tend to be random places to locate specific countries that are a part of a given story - it's the specific locations, cities, those terrain features that are a part of the story, a specific mountain range, a given river, bay, whatever. The world tends to be built around those places important to the story. It might be good to create a realistic lay of land and sea, one that is aesthetically pleasing perhaps, but for the most part the world is just filler content surrounding your story focused terrain. Unless you're creating a globetrotting campaign where going from place to place around your given world is important to the story - then you have more specific locations to build your world around. The world, to me, is less important than the areas that the story is focused around. Many worldbuilders start small and work their way out. If the story begins in a village, you start by creating the village. Where the capital is, or the major city nearest your village is what you develop next. You shouldn't think of the planet in macro terms, that will come only after you develop the geography of the story concerns first. I'd say I'm one of those kinds of world builders.