Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** October 2019 Challenge: Back from the Grave ***

Post *** October 2019 Challenge: Back from the Grave ***

Fill in the Blanks 2 - The Return
    Cue dramatic music, with a bit of a dark undertone...
    Back in January 2018 we did this challenge. We started with a page with only some text labels.

The challenge was to...
    1. You MUST keep and use ALL of the labels on the document. And by labels, I mean the words, not the font.
    2. Every label must be in or very close to its starting position.

I'm going to lazily grab the useful text that Diamond wrote for the last one.

But here's the fun part: you can resize the labels. You can orient them in different directions if you need to - diagonals, warp, etc. How you do it is completely up to you. If you're using PS or GIMP, you can grab the whole label and change it up. If you're going to print out the document and hand-draw a map, print two copies so you can cut up the labels from one and paste them over to the other in different orientations.

But wait! There's more. You can re-size the entire document if you want. You can substitute your own font for my labels, as long as the new labels follow the two rules above. You can add MORE labels (you just can't delete any of the ones already there). Except for the labels which pretty clearly state what they're marking (seas and mountains), what the others represent is entirely up to you. Your map can be of any genre and be created using any medium.

Just bear in mind that at the end of the month, anyone should be able to take that original base document, lay it on top of your map (taking possible resizing of the document into account of course) and have the two sets of labels match up.

And that's it. This contest will end on or around the 31st of October, at or around 12am EST, or Midnight on Halloween!!! Mwahahaha. After that will be three (3) days of voting.

NOW... this time we are going for a dark theme with a Dracula or Curse of Strahd sort of thing going on.
    So go dark and dire, or lovecraftian, or whatever dark thing you wish. Or, whatever halloweenish thing strikes your fancy, so long as it sticks with the theme and rules. Have fun.

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO FOLLOW THE USUAL CHALLENGE ENTRY RULES IN ADDITION TO THOSE LISTED ABOVE. THESE ARE:

1) Title your thread: October 2019 Challenge: <<your title would go here>>
    2) Use the ### Latest WIP ### tag before EVERY work-in-progress pic you post. I cannot stress this enough. If you do not make use of the tag your entry may not be visible when it comes time to vote. There is a one-click WIP button right up there in the toolbar above the text box when you post. This will be your only warning.

Good luck everyone, and as usual if you have any questions, ask away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October Challenge map.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	117956
    Last edited by J.Edward; 10-05-2019 at 07:07 PM.

You can make this a more local feeling map, such that the locations are more prominent, and the large land features are less prominent.
    I wanted to make a map that more people would be able to join in with.
    I know some are less inclined to world and regional maps.

Oh, this will be a good challenge!
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

"In far Childamir, the fields of naters are closely tended by the goblins from the House of the Black Dog to prevent the hags from the old mounds from stealing their young". Yes, yes, I see it all coming together...

EDIT: I cleaned my glasses and it turns out that it says "Waters of Childamir", not "Naters of Childamir". Never mind...

This idea is really cool! Looking forward to seeing different takes on this!

Wald you're not the only one that saw "Naters".

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

Question

just ine question, what is a WARREN???
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Oh, this will be a good challenge!
    I hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    "In far Childamir, the fields of naters are closely tended by the goblins from the House of the Black Dog to prevent the hags from the old mounds from stealing their young". Yes, yes, I see it all coming together...

EDIT: I cleaned my glasses and it turns out that it says "Waters of Childamir", not "Naters of Childamir". Never mind...
    Hehe, you saw naters... and then I'm thinking fields of 'Taters "A mere child's taters"
    Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    This idea is really cool! Looking forward to seeing different takes on this!

Wald you're not the only one that saw "Naters".
    yeah, my W is a bit wonky ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by joaodafi View Post
    just ine question, what is a WARREN???
    it's like a burrow. I use it to mean something like a semi in ground, semi covered over [as with vegetation] type of environment.
    Just read it as a dark location, if that makes it easier.

I missed out on this one last time, though it did result in one of my favorite (if not yet complete) maps by none other than Mr. J. himself. (Really hope you get a chance to keep working on that)

If I can manage some time this month, I might just have a go at this.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Oh yes, great fun. Apart from an aborted start in last months challenge I have been a bit scarce of late. This sounds like a good one to get my fangs into... Had great fun with it last time.

That's castle what? Dra? Drahgor?
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast