Thread: October 2019 Entry

Default October 2019 Entry : Here There Be Pirates

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October Challenge map .png 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.82 MB 
ID:	117965

It's been awhile since I've posted so here's my latest.

FB
    Last edited by Frost Birch; 10-08-2019 at 09:49 AM.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October Challenge map 2a.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	5.16 MB 
ID:	118003

After drawing my first rendition and while drawing my second... a story started to emerge. This area is along the northeast section of the continent out of the way of the normal trade routes. A small village is set on the west bank of the narrows to the Waters of Childamir om the Old Castle peninsula. There are ruins of an old castle high on the ridge as well as another small ruined tower on the east bank. The village is a ruse; disguised as a fishing village. The only 2 story building in this village is called Castle Drahgor for a laugh. Captain Drakgor resides here. His crew lives in the many other buildings of the village. There are real fishermen as well as a cooper, blacksmith, and a shipwright here in the village as well. There is an inn called the House of the Black Dog and a tavern called Hob's Goblin Tavern as well that serves the locals mainly. Strangers stand out immediately. Captain Drahgor's ship is hidden in the island bay within the Waters of Childamir.

The Shadow Coast is named from the dangers of travel in the area. Any of the King's ships seen up this way have not returned. Rumors abound of a whole fleet of pirates hidden within the Grave Shallows. The whole area around the village is wild and crawling with unknown numbers of beasts and evil creatures. The point where the village lays was wrested from goblins which is why many of the buildings allude to that history.

The Mountains of Mourn was the site of a famous battle between the civilized races and those monsters of evil. There were no clear winners and the populations of both sides dwindled to near extinction. The old castle was an outpost of the empire at the time and the calamities of the age are shown in the names of the areas.

More stories to follow.

FB

Nice going, Frost
    I like the inset with the town locations.
    I also like seeing how you view these word environments. And the story your building.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Great idea on the inset! Did you use PS to do this? Did you use a bump map to make the mountains and land forms?

Del

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Great idea on the inset! Did you use PS to do this? Did you use a bump map to make the mountains and land forms?

Del
    I use GIMP 2.10.12 and I am relearning all the techniques I learned with the old GIMP 2.8. Lots of changes and most for the best. Yes bump maps played a big part. Thanks for the questions.

FB.