Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey Everyone!! New to threads and to map making.

Blog Entries

Default Your Work

Hello Jacob,

Welcome, though I'm new here as well, it's nice to meet you. I really like how you are showing your map planning. It's inspiring. I haven't had the heart to post the initial stages of my map making but I think, as I've looked over yours, that I should do something similar. Thank you for the inspiration and your wonderful work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Greetings and welcome to the guild Jacob!! Your first post sounds like my first post (Oh so many years ago!!) lol. I wouldn't be half the artist I am today if it wasn't for this place and the helpful people that comprise its membership. Don't worry Jacob, you'll get the skill set soon enough, the trick is to Practice, Practice, Practice!!

Del

Default New as well

Hey, new here as well, and been hand drawing maps since i started playing dnd when i was 12, back in the early '80's
    Tolkein got me hooked as well on fantasy. My fourth grade teacher read the hobbit to us in class, letting us take a turn reading it as well. (not sure why they would classify that as a 12th grade book in your schools). Bought the actual vinyl album of the book shortly thereafter. A typewriter soon followed for a birthday gift, and here i am 37 yrs later, still writing my own campaigns and stories, still hand making my own maps, and with all these years of practice, they are still at a beginners level, as i am usually rushed or just in a hurry for the next session. I would love to be able to commission a beautiful wall map at some point, as you all have some serious talent.

Default Outlines

I found a really helpful way for making coastlines and continents. I would search around on Google maps for areas that interest me and then steal the coast lines from areas and make changes based on what I feel. It just helps me make a coast that feels natural and satisfying. It's also very quick

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeJack_ View Post
    I found a really helpful way for making coastlines and continents. I would search around on Google maps for areas that interest me and then steal the coast lines from areas and make changes based on what I feel. It just helps me make a coast that feels natural and satisfying. It's also very quick
    Thanks I'll have to try that, I've been using beads to plan out the coast lines. kind of weird to carry around a box of rainbow colored beads though.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Hemdrall Itham View Post
    Hello Jacob,

Welcome, though I'm new here as well, it's nice to meet you. I really like how you are showing your map planning. It's inspiring. I haven't had the heart to post the initial stages of my map making but I think, as I've looked over yours, that I should do something similar. Thank you for the inspiration and your wonderful work.
    Thank you. lol sorry been a little busy the past week or so, I actually finished the hand drawn map but my out facing camera on my phone broke. I haven't been able to snap an image of it. I'll get to it soon hopefully.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Brugashi View Post
    Hey, new here as well, and been hand drawing maps since i started playing dnd when i was 12, back in the early '80's
    Tolkein got me hooked as well on fantasy. My fourth grade teacher read the hobbit to us in class, letting us take a turn reading it as well. (not sure why they would classify that as a 12th grade book in your schools). Bought the actual vinyl album of the book shortly thereafter. A typewriter soon followed for a birthday gift, and here i am 37 yrs later, still writing my own campaigns and stories, still hand making my own maps, and with all these years of practice, they are still at a beginners level, as i am usually rushed or just in a hurry for the next session. I would love to be able to commission a beautiful wall map at some point, as you all have some serious talent.
    well, I was born and raised in south Carolina, which has been in the top 5 of worst education states in the united states. That's probably why it was labeled so high. I haven't had much time the past week or so been really busy, I'm hoping I can get back to it soon though.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Greetings and welcome to the guild Jacob!! Your first post sounds like my first post (Oh so many years ago!!) lol. I wouldn't be half the artist I am today if it wasn't for this place and the helpful people that comprise its membership. Don't worry Jacob, you'll get the skill set soon enough, the trick is to Practice, Practice, Practice!!

Del
    Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm gonna practice as much as I can, been a little busy with work here lately but I'm gonna start back up here soon. I'm actually glad I've found this place, I've already learned some things just browsing around. I look forward to learning more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12