Thread: October 2019 Challenge: Underground Cavern

Wip October 2019 Challenge: Underground Cavern

Heyo, not very good at this, but here goes nothing.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October Challenge map.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	118019

My idea for this was for it to be completely underground. I'll be writing a sort of RPG adventure module to go along with the map.
    If you're wondering what the black/purple thing is, well, it's some sort of energy field that's gobbling up the cavern.

No clue if this is forbidden, but some of the stuff in the map weren't made by me. The hills in the upper right and a few other things are brushes. There's still work to be done, but it'll take time. I might replace the brushes with my own drawings, but it's difficult doing everything with a mouse + I can't really draw.

Tips are more than welcome!

i love it! like another map, this reminds me of hodgson's the night land but i especially like the energy field gobbling up the cavernous features. i really like how drawn out the features are too!

I see people use brushes all the time, even whole map making asset packs. You can always add coloring and texture on top if you want it to be more "yours", but I'm sure it's not forbidden. It's just like using fonts instead of handwriting; nobody expects you to 100% hand draw anything, unless that is the challenge theme. It's nice to know though, because some of us like to read about the creative process. I myself like to read about how people create their maps traditionally; what paper they use, pens, markers, pencils, etc.

Nice work, I like your take on this challenge. As kisachik said, there is nothing wrong with using brushes.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I too was thinking an underground theme, but since this is my first map back, I didn't want to do anything to in-depth or time consuming (Since I draw everything out by hand, it would have been).

Great job! I like the energy barrier idea too, great take on the map labels. Keep up the good work.

Del

PS: Oh, and if you are going to draw maps I suggest buying a drawing tablet. They are relatively cheap now a days (Compared to when I bought my Intous3 when it first came out) and easy to get used to using. You can do a search on here about drawing tablets, there is quite a bit of information that people have posted on which brand and the pros and cons of use.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Nice map! I especially like the sharp peaks emerging from the lake.

Find me on
    DeviantArt