Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commission at work

Wip

I'm taking the map in another direction as Adam changed his mind about the see and compass. Out deep blue sea and metal rendered compass, we're going with a more hand drawn style. Still undecided on the compass final look but it's gonna be decided after a few test. The metal rendered compass won't be lost, I'll use it on another piece (learning how to do those rendering is pretty fun). Here's the new WIP with more mountains, hills and rivers plus a lil' crater lake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	118655

Coming along nicely although I'm not sure about the river color on this land color. It's kind of hard to see

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    Coming along nicely although I'm not sure about the river color on this land color. It's kind of hard to see
    Thanks The rivers are still a WIP and the color was the one I used on the reference map the client pointed me to. He had the same issue so I made them more visible for now. Their final look will depend on the other colors.

Here's another update with forests mostly done (I still need to cover those rivers) and an experimentation I'm not sure about. I've added lonely trees like J.Edward and Voolf do to ease the transition between plain and forest but I'll need some input from you folks on this topic :

1- I'm not sure about the size of said trees (there is no size variation as smaller is not feasible and bigger might clash with the smaller mountains).
    2- Perhaps they're not well enough placed.
    3- Perhaps it just doesn't look good.

Here's the image.

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	118687

That is really cool!

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticDesign View Post
    That is really cool!
    Thanks

The client has had a crush on another style of compass so, mine is gonna take the exit door (don't worry, it'll come back on another map, I like it ) and here's my interpretation of his wishes. It's not final, it's not even rendered or drawn correctly (and don't even talk of these ugly shadows !) as I wanna add some flair to it. Let's call it a fancy mockup for know, waiting for validation.

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	118702

I like the forests - and *I* like your compass. Hope it lives to see another day!

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I like the forests - and *I* like your compass. Hope it lives to see another day!
    Thanks Joseph To be clear, the client has the right to ask for modification and him wanting a compass more to his liking is perfectly fine. I hope I did not sound disrespectful earlier.

Anyways, having to redo the compass lead to more compass so, it's a good thing. At first, Adam preferred a more hand drawn style but, I've been sneaky and send a version of the finished compass with and without the emerald. I knew he'd like it and so he did so, here's the final compass (plus a revised and redrawn river system, covered rivers and a few more lonely trees).

Here it comes ! Next stop, marshlands and plateaus !

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	118736

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Ya, I think the trees look pretty good, and I liked the blue rivers through the forests better than the black lines... but that's just me. Great job so far man!! You are a Great artist Thomas!

Del

Much clearer! I like it

I liked the older compass, but didn't really fit the rest of the map that well. The new one really looks like it belongs there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast