Thread: Hello Cartographer's Guild

Default Hello Cartographer's Guild

Hey folks,

After seeing some of the maps people have been able to do both here and on Reddit, I finally bit the bullet and bought Campaign Cartographer. Bit of a bite to the wallet but (obviously, given i made an account here) I think it's justified.

Anyway, a bit about me. I'm a devout christian, hoping to get into seminary after I get my degree. I'm trying to get better at drawing portraits this year. Dream car is a 1964 Ford Mustang. I read a lot of philosophy, currently I'm reading the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius and I've got a collection of Plato's works on the way. It's been on the way for like a month, must be from China or something. USPS isn't renowned for it's reliability.

I've always been really fascinated with ancient cultures, languages, history, etc. The history of Serbia and the Balkans is really interesting, as well as ancient Rome. Akkadia/Babylon and the Mayans too. Human civilization in general.

I find the historic development of religion fascinating, and how certain literary forms (i.e. wisdom literature written in literary pentameter) evolved over the centuries into manuscripts of alleged historic narrative as the progression of culture becomes more and more obscured from the original cultural and historic context.

I've been working on a private worldbuilding project for some number of years. It's not going to be a novel. It's more of a super-poem of sorts, with a couple of conlangs and cultures. Just an art form.

I drink my coffee black and listen to post-hardcore music on vinyl. I have a soft spot for gregorian chants and other 9-15th century music.

I have a deep appreciation for nature and wildlife, and for art and music. It almost feels sacred, somehow.

Anyway, that's enough. Hello again everyone, I'm excited to be here and learn more about cartography. I really want to make some historic maps and maybe even a few for my own conworld.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    welcome nicolasstag!
    hey thanks so much! happy to be here

Interesting. I know someone who did some worldbuilding poems in a Norse style, but I suppose since she had a kid those projects probably petered out and she's super busy parenting now. Your interests are interesting. A varied and educated spread.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!