Thread: Tammijoki - a fictional city map set in Finland

Map Tammijoki - a fictional city map set in Finland

Map in attachments in the end of the post.

This is city map I made back in the summer. It started as a test of how to draw parallel lines with equal distance, to be used in a street map. The test looked so good that I continued it straight away to a complete map. However, after drawing the streets and buildings the map was forgotten for two months, until I finished it with details and colours in July.

In short:

- The map is hand drawn, pen on paper including lettering
    - Size is 10 cm x 10 cm = 4'' x '4''
    - Lineworkwith Micron pens and colours with Copic pens
    - Part of a fictional city, inspired by cities of Finland

This map completely fictional, but it has clear inspiration in the cities and towns in present day Finland, the country I live in. So, the street network, building layout and topography are all similar as in many Finnish towns. Most inspiration was taken from the city of Turku. Because of the setting, the place names are also in Finnish. The street names are quite much the most general names you can imagine.

Although it was fun to think about the typical structure of Finnish towns, most importantly this map was a style test. I compiled style elements from Finnish city maps from late 1800's and early 1900's, and added also some things which were not in any of them. In the end I think I'm really happy how it looks like, and I'm planning to make more maps in the future with a similar style.

Attached is a scan of the coloured map. As the map looked quite nice without colours, too, I thought I'd share it too. What do you think, does the colours make it look better?

Because the size of the map might be a bit difficult to see in the scan, there's also a photograph for reference. The colours is the scan might be a bit too bright, as well, so the photo gives perhaps a more realistic view.

I'd be happy to hear if you have some comments or critique! Especially because I'm planning to make more maps with this style, it would be great to hear if there's something that doesn't really work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tammijoki_Orbigraphia.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	118068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tammijoki_bw_Orbigraphia.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	118069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tammijoki_photo_Orbigraphia.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	118070  
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Nice and clean. Easy to read. Good color choices. (Doesn't overpower the usefulness.)
    Bravo!

Hyvin autenttinen fiilis! Reppiä ei kyllä riitä näin pian edellisen jälkeen, mutta erittäin onnistunut työ siitä huolimatta.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    Nice and clean. Easy to read. Good color choices. (Doesn't overpower the usefulness.)
    Bravo!
    Thanks a lot KMAlexander! Great to know you think it's readable!

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    digging this city map! very neat
    Thank you DrWho42!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Hyvin autenttinen fiilis! Reppiä ei kyllä riitä näin pian edellisen jälkeen, mutta erittäin onnistunut työ siitä huolimatta.
    Kiitos! Kiva kuulla suomalainen mielipide, koska kartta ei välttämättä avaudu yhtä hyvin ja kieltä (ja myös maata) tuntemattomalle. Mitäs reppauksista, kiitos ajatuksesta kuitenkin
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

That is an attractive little map. Well done!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

A clear and readable map.
    I love your handmade work, it's always so clean... Outstanding dude