So, here’s a different one—today I’m releasing Ogilby, my thirteenth and largest free brush set for Photoshop (and GIMP). With over 870 brushes, this set is extracted from one of the most unique historical atlas’ I’ve seen, John Ogilby's 1675 book “Britannia, Volume the First” (the full title goes on much longer, and I'll spare you.) It’s part travel guide and part road atlas, but unlike modern regional maps, Ogilby instead shows the journey from the traveler's perspective. It makes for really fascinating reading.

As with all my brushes, these are distributed under a CC0 license, which means they’re free to use for personal or commercial work, no attribution required! Let me know what you think, and if you end up using Ogilby, I’d love to see what you made.

You can read more about Ogilby and download the set over on my blog.

Detailed example:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	featuredogilby.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	660.5 KB 
ID:	118156

Some of the symbols:

Name:	ogilbysampler.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	510.4 KB 
ID:	118157

Name:	ogilbysampler2.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	522.4 KB 
ID:	118158

Ogilby in use:

Name:	ogilbydecorated.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	118159

As a bonus, I have two other downloads available. The first is the extracted background from one of the plates; it comes in a separate download and features a layered PSD and a transparent PNG. I’ve also included a series of road brushes made for Adobe Illustrator, allowing you to mimic Ogilby’s road styles if you wish. So there’s lots here, and hopefully, someone will find it useful and inspiring.