Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greenhaven Commission

Map Greenhaven Commission

Here is a piece I recently completed for Lyons Den Studios for their upcoming RPG. Greenhaven is a city built within a swamp. The original city was built upon wooden platforms resting on a stone foundations within a large lake. The architecture of the city has Chinese influences. A large oval stone wall within the lake surrounds the city. The entryways of this wall contain chain boons that can be lowered to allow vessels in to port.

The portion of the city located on dry land is newer and largely has more of a Romanesque flavor, though there are also a Dwarven and Halfling district with their own unique style. A crude semicircular wooden palisade surrounds the newer portion of the city. The buildings beyond the palisade have all recently been destroyed by the ravages of a great wyrm.

I'm starting work on another city for Lyons Den Studios at the moment and look forward to sharing that a bit later.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Completed Map Small.png 
Views:	1440 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	118180  

Cool, but what are the little white balls rising up on the southeast portion? I wanna know
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    i love this. delightful design!
    Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Cool, but what are the little white balls rising up on the southeast portion? I wanna know
    Ah yes, those would be floating lanterns rising from the Temple of the Sun. My client's idea, and I thought it was a cool one.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

A evocative piece of art would be of those lanterns rising into the sky around that building for their book - they should commission something like that. Anyway this is a really wonderful city map.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

This is a magnificent piece ! My inner self would have added some linework for texturing but I always add too much. Your map has a warm summer evening feel to it that is really soothing to the eye and the different unique locations like hte cherry tree and the temple with it's floating lanterns are bringing a lot of life to it. You know you're in my pantheon, right ?

I really like this map. I think I'd have done the same as Thomas in adding some lines for texture, but that's just a personal preference, I guess. Altogether I think this map is magnificent. I especially like the way you did the surrounding swampland.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Oh, amazing stuff! I love how soft and neat your lines and shading are. Beautiful colors too, I love that single purple tree near the middle - it really draws the eye. You've really been knocking it out of the park with these recent commissions. Nice work.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

A more thorough singing of praise than my comment on your Instagram:

This is just such an exquisite map Arsheesh. The level of detail is just perfect - the natural landscape looks so real without being over-detailed, the buildings are lovely, and I absolutely love the blossoms/leaves coming off the pink tree there.

A minor quibble: I wish that the green...algae? that is resting on the lake and abuts the landforms had just a bit more shading or something where they actually do come up against the shore. As it is right now they look a little flat.

Really great map. My only comment would be is the text on the legend a little bit on the light side? It could be I just had to change monitors though and trying to sort the brightness settings on this one is leading me down the path to madness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast