Thread: Abandoned Rebel Base (Star Wars)

Default Abandoned Rebel Base (Star Wars)

I am doing a Star Wars game and I happen to like drawing maps a great deal. I'm working on adding in more detail into my maps and even trying to refine the style that I enjoy a great deal. Critiques and criticism are always welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abandoned Rebel Base.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1,019.0 KB 
ID:	118187

Hopefully that fixed the caters looking like raised rocks. I broke up some of the lines and then lightened them a little.

The one I just finished drawing.

Name:	Emperor's Fortress.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	941.1 KB 
ID:	118186
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abandoned Rebel Base.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	118182  
    Last edited by LunaticDesign; 10-16-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Nice work. Are those supposed to be rocks or craters? If rocks, they look great. If craters, they looked raised on first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    Nice work. Are those supposed to be rocks or craters? If rocks, they look great. If craters, they looked raised on first glance.
    They are supposed to be craters. I will work on making them look more recessed.

Apparently I'm just on a roll today!

Name:	Cliffside Encampment.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	118189

I would not want to be the guy to pilot that X-wing. It's practically going to have to make a 90 degree turn to vertical as soon as it clears the doors to avoid crashing into the walls. Then again, maybe that's why it got left behind.

Also, three Star Wars maps and not a single chasm without safety railing? More seriously (though that was only half-joking), these all feel a little cramped for Star Wars. While the Star Wars setting tends to be a bit less well-maintained than certain other SF franchises, almost everything is surprisingly roomy. Some settings have spacecraft as cramped as a submarine, but even the lower-end ships generally have corridors where two can walk abreast comfortably. Spacious halls and fighter bays abound. Heck, compare the cantina scene to a real bar. Scale things up from what you may be used to from D&D. Sure, you do get the 10' x 10' room as a prison cell, but mostly you have plenty of room for whole squads of troopers to run about, space for combatants to jump about while fighting with light sabers and throwing stuff around with the Force, and plenty of room for some silly oversized monster to actually not feel cramped. There are a number of other things you could do to make your Star Wars maps look more SW and less D&D, but I think opening things up would be the best start.

Your maps do have a certain charm and present a polished "loose" style of drawing. A bit more ruler-edge style may help get the more advanced/technology-heavy areas to feel more SW-ish, though (the loose style fits these 3 maps fine).

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I would not want to be the guy to pilot that X-wing. It's practically going to have to make a 90 degree turn to vertical as soon as it clears the doors to avoid crashing into the walls. Then again, maybe that's why it got left behind.
    VTOL is also an option.

Also, three Star Wars maps and not a single chasm without safety railing?
    If you look carefully at the third map the raised landing platform has no safety railing
    More seriously (though that was only half-joking), these all feel a little cramped for Star Wars.
    That is one of the downsides of doing 8 1/2 x 11 grid paper. It makes the ranged combat aspects of the games somewhat limited. The other limitation is with lager maps they have to be zoomed out extensively to deal with long range combat. One of my players is legally blind. She can stand and see but only when her token is fairly large on the TV. I's another hurdle to overcome and I have several double sized maps to experiment with.

Thank you very much for the feedback. It's given me plenty to work on.

oh and for large with no railings...

Name:	Sniper Encounter.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	917.0 KB 
ID:	118261

And now I'm working on a 50% size increase for my maps... There went my night of sleep.

okay make that doubled... Lets see if I can get them to line up.
    Last edited by LunaticDesign; 10-20-2019 at 10:34 AM.