Thread: Edgeric WIP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Wip Edgeric WIP

In the immediate area of the Campaign map there are 4 communities (or towns if you will). Edgeric is a small mining town near the southern mountains of Grimhold in what is called the Blue Hills (named for the blue metal ore that is mined here). Edgeric developed as a way stop down the Gellis River on the way to the main city of Darvic (or as most people refer to it: Four Falls). I start with Edgeric because this will be where the PC's start their adventure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town of Edgeric.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	923.4 KB 
ID:	118184

I sketched it out by hand on paper first, then I sketched it out on Photoshop, but I couldn't get to the hand-drawn sketch at the moment I was drawing in Photoshop so I did it from memory. I only mention this because a few things might change in later WIPs as I integrate the hand-drawn map into this one. Any thoughts, suggestions or questions? I like genuine feedback as I strive to re-learn my PS skills.
    Last edited by Badger; 10-16-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: corrected spelling errors

i love when people find a way to visualise their worldbuilding, hence my love of fantasy maps.

i'm digging it so far! i'm curious about the flora but from your description it sounds rather mountainous and hilly.

Cool, I never could get my head wrapped around doing towns very well.

DrWho: This is the reason I started mapping really, so I could map out my whole world... I've been in love with maps and mapping since. And that was at a very young age!

LunaticDesign: It took me a while to get town/city mapping down to where it looked decent enough to show someone. Just keep working on it. Take a nice town map you like the look of, and copy it (this is great for practicing) and soon you will be doing it without having to copy.

Edgeric:

Name:	Town of Edgeric.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	118204

So I added some grass and water to the map, outlined the road with some fill to it and put some of the outside lines down for some of the buildings. I would have had more done but I had to read up on using vectors, which I also forgot how to do!! lol.

Del

Name:	Edgeric Again.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	118395

So I decided on a little bit different layout, I went through a few before settling on this one. I got the river and the bridge done and then went and outlined the roads and pathways. Working in PS is coming along easier now, all that's left is getting my artistic skills up to speed, or par. One day, I will own the world!

Del

Name:	Edgeric Again 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	118426

So, Buildings away!! I actually drew one of them by hand, but the rest I went ahead and cheated on, I would imagine you could guess which one was drawn by hand, lol. Anyways, I tried to get all the buildings done tonight, but alas, I grew tired. Feedback is always welcome. Actually... I kinda expected to see some from my last post, but I guess that traffic is either down or it was a lazy Sunday/Monday. You all know I'm not actually new right?? I've been here for years.. I just had a job that didn't allow for me to really work on maps and such. Just checking. I'm not used to all the quiet.. back in the day any time a map was posted you would find a half dozen posts on it before the day was out. But several of those consistent poster's are no longer cruising the forum, so I guess its to be expected.

Del

Looking good so far Del. Nice layout overall, though if you plan on adding a title and or key to the map you might want to enlarge the canvass or something to give yourself space to do so.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Looking good so far Del. Nice layout overall, though if you plan on adding a title and or key to the map you might want to enlarge the canvass or something to give yourself space to do so.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Yes I knew after I chose this particular layout that I was going to have to enlarge it. I think I'm just going to push the canvas further right and put the title and legend right there. That's the plan anyways! Thanks Arsheesh!

Del

Name:	Edgeric Again 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	118551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edgeric Again 3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	118552

All the buildings are finished finally. Looks like I missed some pathways to the houses and I'm going to have to touch up some of the edges of the path's too. Also put in outlines of the trees and the small wooded area in the bottom left. I just hope the cliff I made looks alright with the rest of the map. Does it look natural? or is it just been too smudged up? IDK. It seems to look ok from a distance, when you look at the map as it fits the screen... Anyway, few more hills to outline, then I guess it's on to coloring the buildings and walls.. That is going to be some tedious work I fear. But, Bring it on I say!!

Del

--Edit: I added a pic after I colored in the background and color and drop shadowed the trees. Didn't feel it need a whole new post for these additions. Just wanted some feedback on it.. how it looks? does it work? is the cliff ok looking? that sorta thing.
    Last edited by Badger; 11-01-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: addendum & added new update pic

Name:	Edgeric Again 4.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	118646

Nothing huh?
    Well I added basic roof colors to the buildings, seems I forgot one, so I'll have to go back and do that, and I have edging to clean up, seems the select forgot a few pixels on some of the buildings. I also re-did the hills...

Feedback always welcome of course....

Del