Thread: Unnamed WIP

Default Unnamed WIP

Hello All! it's me, PeriphReal. After a long break, I caught a mapmaking fever again, and I've been making maps.

Anyways, it hit when i didn't have access to a computer, so I've been dabbling in the old fashioned pen and paper maps. And this is one of the three maps that I've been making (the one that has the most progress on it). My camera is just my phone camera at this point, so the quality of the image is a bit wanting. Anyways, this is what i got:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	118253

I've been thinking about writing a book for myself. I've been getting into the worldbuilding aspect quite a bit, and we'll see where this project goes in time. Right now, I'm wondering how to draw a giant, sleeping mountain on my map... and then how would a cartographer depict moving islands (huge tortoises with an ecology on their backs). I'm also wondering about the calligraphy, a skill that I'm not proficient in. Maybe I'll convert this to a digital project eventually.

Comments, feedback, and tips are appreciated

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Looking good so far! I'm not sure what you mean by sleeping mountain, like a dormant volcano? As for the turtles, you could actually show their flippers and head and put movement ripples around the islands that give the impression that they are moving. Calligraphy does have a bit of a learning curve, and then there is the actual cost of calligraphy pens, which isn't too bad, but I would suggest that you search the internet for an alphabet in the style of calligraphy that you want or like and then just draw the letters in by hand or trace them out.

Del
    Last edited by Badger; 10-19-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Grammar

good start! looking very forward to seeing the floating islands!

Hello! Slow progress. I have kind of lost vision of where I want this map to go... I think actually I could pretty much call it done, or safely store it away for a while until i need to change it. After adding some kingdoms, borders, and maybe a sprinkle or two of some features, then it is just a matter of artistic additions like color, cartography features (compass, key), texturing, and naming (Still not certain on that); I don't want to add those and progress, because there's no perfect undo button in real life drawing.

Anyways, by sleeping mountain, I mean like a rocky behemoth that is so huge, it is essentially a mountain. However, he's been asleep for the greater part of a few centuries.

Without further ado, here we go, perhaps this map will gather a bit of dust before the next update:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regional Map 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	118444