Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lands south of Anaskur

Map The Lands south of Anaskur

This one started life as a little thumbnail sketch from 2018's Mapvember, I think.
    I seem to have a leaning toward tall ones. I do have a wide one i might do soon.
    I'm not sure if this is part of the world from the Journey of the Sarune, or if it's another.
    I was imagining a place that is very old, but is in decline in some places.
    Big areas of wilderness, though perhaps where some societies once lived.

Which city would be your capital? or the beginning of your adventures here?
    Which city do you think is the oldest? Which one is the largest?

I need to write up a new article on software sometime soon.
    I've been trying out some new programs, as i always have issues with PS.
    Well, i hope everyone is having a great October, and a great week.
    Jump in on that October challenge, it still has some time left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lands South of Anaskur by jstevenson.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	945.3 KB 
ID:	118310

That compass rose has to be my favorite detail from this one! It's so fine and delicate and all kinds of lovely!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah, this is stunning. I echo Kell's comments about the compass rose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Which city would be your capital?
    Amarn or Mung would be the capital and probably one of the oldest, most likely because of their location.
    I'd wager Harum was the largest due to it being a seaport and providing access to the enormous inland waterway.

Just saw this piece over on Insta and am happy to view it in a larger format. Very attractive. I must say the naming convention you have for this piece is great. Really a fine piece all around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

i love how well composed it is as well as how subtle the cities are. depending on the map, i'm curious if there's any distinguishing landmarks or features individual to the cities but i dig it so far~

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    That compass rose has to be my favorite detail from this one! It's so fine and delicate and all kinds of lovely!
    That was the very last thing I did. ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    Yeah, this is stunning. I echo Kell's comments about the compass rose as well.

Amarn or Mung would be the capital and probably one of the oldest, most likely because of their location.
    I'd wager Harum was the largest due to it being a seaport and providing access to the enormous inland waterway.
    That sounds reasonable. I can imagine Amarn being the older of the two, but Mung being the one that Become the stronger, eventually becoming strong enough to found an empire, which later split.
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Just saw this piece over on Insta and am happy to view it in a larger format. Very attractive. I must say the naming convention you have for this piece is great. Really a fine piece all around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh
    Naming is a tricky business.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    i love how well composed it is as well as how subtle the cities are. depending on the map, i'm curious if there's any distinguishing landmarks or features individual to the cities but i dig it so far~
    Thanks Doc
    Not sure what you mean...
    some of the cities sit on the leading edge of a mountain or hill, such as Ashur, Narmir, Darak, Astira, and Amun.
    Gudun sits up on a hill. Amarn and Gral are lake cities.
    Skar, Gardin, Uruk, Rimi, Mung, and Kiga are river cities.
    Koris, Akiris, Aru, Theis, and Harune all sit at the mouth of rivers.
    Then there are all sorts of port cities of varying kinds.

A very nice composition. I like the simplistic colour palette and the verticality (although I'd be keen to see a horizontally laid out map at some point).

I imagine the Gulf of Thura might have been an early place for civilization to start, in which case Koris or Athura may have been the largest/oldest/capital-est.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The feel of perspective is amazing ! Great work, as always !

I'm astonished. The mountains are beautiful, well detailed, but I guess I'm even more fond of the reliefs on the shores. It may seem trivial, but I feel I'm able to imagine the topography even where you didn't draw any mountain.
    A great piece of art congratulations

You really have a particular talent, John. I mean, this is elegant, detailed but not crowded, interesting from afar as when zoomed, well thought and labelled...
    Harune sounds like a good place to begin an adventure if you ask me .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast