Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips on posture, etc.?

I've recently started getting back problems from too many hours sitting at my desk. I actually just invested in a standing desk to help remedy this problem. I will let you know if you helps my own situation.

It's probably already been mentioned but I am a firm believe in a good chair. It's a tool as much as anything else in the creator's arsenal and you spend so much time on it, you should invest in something ergonomic and sturdy. I sprang for an Aeron about five years ago and it's helped so much. But most of my work is typing at a desk vs. hunched over a drawing.

A drafting table is helpful if you're working over paper/tablet. Josh's suggestion of a standing desk has helped a lot of folks I know.

My wife (an oil painter) and her friends (also oil painters) all use the Swopper when they're working in front of a canvas. It sorta forces you to sit up straight. I could see it plus a drafting table working really well together.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/isome...rcises-2696516

Everyone who draws should do some stuff like this to toughen their drawing muscles.

As for your neck, if you have a real human available, have them press their fist downwards into your traps, from the location right beside your neck, and then hold the pressure. They only need to hold that pressure. You then need to tilt your head away from their hand, stretching out the muscle. There are a few places to press down for optimal success in this, and you'll notice them because they feel tight and hard and it will be challenging or painful for you to tilt your head if they're pushing on it. Do it on both sides. Be amazed by how much better your head moves. Very easy massage technique to teach to a layman and create significant pain relief in the neck without having to poke into the neck, a frightening prospect for many untrained but willing to help people. Don't push yourself so much that it's agony, but it should feel like a tight stretch.

Also, get a tennis ball and lie on it with it under a sore spot on the upper back. Try to put your hands above your head and press your elbows to the floor to stretch out the tight chest muscles.

Good luck not being in pain!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Default Posture

It's definitely something most artists deal with. I'd mainly recommend a gym membership. Might sound silly but working out and training your back can help you hold your posture better. There are also exercises you can do against walls to help get your posture back while taking drawing breaks. Stand up tables are decent too. Also drawing tables like mentioned before. The slanted ones. Lots of options, just need to find what works for you .

This is a little topical for me, though it's not back or neck pain I have. I've been struggling with a sore shoulder for a couple of months. Thought I'd pulled something, and it'd go away on its own, but no joy. Went to the physio who's given me dumb little exercises to do (though I think they are helping.) Basically, if you're taking time to keep your back and neck limber, don't neglect your drawing arm either (see Tiana's post above). Even just swinging and rotating your arms a half dozen times every hour or so will help to keep your shoulder loose, and avoid pain!

I started on a map for the October challenge, but had to give up as I felt it was making my shoulder worse. I use a computer all day in my job and can't avoid that, but felt I needed to give myself a break in the evenings. I might try and finish at some point down the line.... or it may join that giant pile of unfinished maps that I have! *cries*
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12