Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on posture, etc.?

Default Any tips on posture, etc.?

Hello. I don't post much to the forum, but I make a lot of hand-drawn maps. I have neck pains as a result of my drawing, and I need tips. I have looked at a lot of information about posture for artists, and that has returned nothing of use. If I find anything, I will post it down below, but if any of you know anything, I would love to know. Thanks!

I'm hardly an expert on the subject, but what has helped my artist's posture the most: taking up kickboxing in my spare time
    Of course it is important to watch your posture while you're working too, but finding some exercise to balance out the static sitting times is also a major factor in battling out the pain, in my experience.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

A drafting table might help. It allows you to angle the surface so you don't end up crouched over. You can sit back and still reach the surface and draw comfortably. In general I think the idea is to maintain a body siting position upright and back and comfortable. This means doing things that keep your hands in reach of their task whilst maintaining that position. You can also get easels that sit on the desk, and they will also allow you to angle the surface upright.

For computer use I think they say the desk height should be about where your elbows are when sitting straight, though this really doesn't work with real people because our elbows are at about lap height.

You say 'hand drawn' so I assume you mean on paper or using a tablet for which it is easy to find yourself bent over the work for extended periods of time.

As mentioned exercise is rather important to offset the sedentary nature of drawing. I think it is important to position things so you are comfortable. As I have aged I find that oft times I feel stiff when I get up after sitting for long periods of time. I don't know what can be done about that but you said your neck starts to bother you. Try putting your work a bit above your normal position to force you to look up more rather than hunkering over it. Artist's often use easels so the work is up in front of them and they usually don't rest their hands on the work. Technically you could stand and paint or sketch on a canvas out in front of you. It will feel really weird at first but if you stick with it you might find a better way to function.

If you are using computer monitors try raising your monitor up. Perhaps putting some books underneath it or something so as to force you to look straight at it rather than down.

Now, having said all that, I usually find myself just going for the most comfortable position for me.

You might also try one of those giant exercise balls as a chair. I find that helps my posture quite a bit because it not only strengthens your core muscles but allows you to shift your hips back so you don't keep curling your neck to look downwards.

As a tall person this is a constant battle but I try not to stay too long in the same position. I end up a lot of time with my feet on the desk, slid down in the chair leaning back to work which probably is not an "official" way to do things but works for me.

If you are using a pad of paper why not put it on the floor and lay on your stomach. it will at least stretch your neck the opposite of what you usually keep it at.

You might try contacting a local art school to see if they have any suggestions. I'm not a professional and if you are young then you may be doing something that is exacerbating your situation.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

One thing i have heard and read is that long sitting periods really are worse than you would think.
    The only thing I have seen that helps is to actually force yourself to break up those periods.
    Don't sit for longer than an hour. Get up, stretch, drink some water, etc.
    It's hard to do. I lose track of time, but it is very important over the span of one's life.
    Lots of problems can develop from sitting for long periods.
    It's worse than sitting on a couch too.

As to neck, specifically, the previous advice is good.
    You have to find other ways to sit and draw, other angles that don't hurt your neck.
    For me, some of the neck pain is from sleep related aches.
    But, I have some nerve damage, so I can't always control that.

i recently got a hand grip strengthener to help since my hand cramps sometimes from journaling. that might help? otherwise, i'd probably try and vary my routine.

I am currently in the throws of carpal tunnel syndrome. Ick....

I ask the Alexa app to set an alarm every 20 minutes to rest and recuperate. I also try to focus on relaxing and stretching as I have a tendency to tighten up when working on maps.

The moral of the story is..

Computers are killing us now. They don't even need AI to pull it off.

“When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Didn't your mother tell you to "sit up straight"? I use a dining room table with my PC on it, and a dining room chair. I sit upright, not leaned over. My posture is fine.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Didn't your mother tell you to "sit up straight"? I use a dining room table with my PC on it, and a dining room chair. I sit upright, not leaned over. My posture is fine.

GP
    Take this you upright sitting mamby-jamby: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...f-good-posture

PS. there are some youtube links at the bottom that might be helpful for some of us on doing some things when we are sitting for long periods.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 10-23-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast