Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oct/Nov '19 Lite Challenge; Damon's Latest Bookmark

Default Oct/Nov '19 Lite Challenge; Damon's Latest Bookmark

Hi Folks,

Thought I'd have some fun and enter this challenge. Absolutely no idea where this is going. I'm taking something ThomasR said quite literally and just drawing stuff. Preliminary line work for coasts and Mtns/Hills done. We'll see how this develops. Doing the bookmarks is actually not a bad way to practice stuff you're not particularly good at I reckon. They're small, so you can't get into too much trouble if you muck something up. Doing this in Ps CS4 with a Huion 1060PLUS tablet, 1200px x 3600px @ 600ppi.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled Bookmark.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	118326
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Welcome to the challenge damonjynx! Nice little map you've got started there!!

Thanks Bogie. Haven't entered one of these in a while...

Finished Maps

i like the crevises on the mountain peaks!

Thanks DrWho42. Not sure what you're referring to, I think of them as spurs, rather than crevasses, but I'm glad you like the line work thus far. This 'style' of map is something I really need to work on to expand my cartography skills - I'm not particularly adept with overland maps.

Finished Maps

Hi Folks,

Work continues on this piece...

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bookmark WIP2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	467.7 KB 
ID:	118413

Finished Maps

Aw, it's fun though, the mountains have a good energy and the water outline edges are cute. Fear not the overland map, just lean into that cartoony clarity. This would be a good piece to add some highlights, lest it get lost in the texture. The strength is in the adorable way you made the elements. I'm a bit worried it's getting too dark with the heavy texture, something to be fair, I do normally use a lot myself and love in much work, so I wouldn't say, get rid of it. Just contrast it with something. I'm thinking maybe beaches or ice?

I also use the bookmarks to challenge myself, since I did an isometric thing, something I never do on big maps. Too intimidating. It's not hard, just daunting, I guess. I felt that way about my first several overland maps. They were just so much. The bookmarks would have been a great idea but I didn't think of it or really participate much in the guild.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thanks Tiana. I'll probably lower the opacity on the texture a bit, they are a bit "in your face".

For those who want to know: I used an old parchment/paper background then used a colour balance adjustment layer to change the colour; the land is R -15, G +50 & B 0. Then I duplicated that layer and changed the colour balance for the water to R -70, G 0 & B +70. It may have been Torstan's (a.k.a Jonathon Roberts) background I used come to think of it. I think it gives a nice look but it is a bit full on in such a small piece.

One of the guild members posted a YouTube video on creating a Mike Schley detail brush, that's what i used for the 'waves' with a layer effect for the drop shadow and outer glow.

From the original line work I made paths for the land and water. Then I deleted the land linework and filled it with grey. Then I erased the rivers and lake re-created the new 'land path' and used that on the land texture layer at Normal, with the water colour layer below. Now it's just a matter of finishing off the colouring including light & shade and drawing some town icons, labelling and it'll be finished...
    Last edited by damonjynx; 10-28-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Finished Maps

Liking the coloring a lot!

Guild Artisan

Loving the water especially! Very Good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast