Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land of the Untitled (WIP)

Wip Land of the Untitled (WIP)

Hello! Looking for some feedback on this map. Specifically:

1) Mountain ranges realistic in File a?

2) Biomes realistic in File b? Is this range big enough to have both tundra and the tip of a desert? File a is the red rectangle from File c

3) General coloring in File a?

4) Anything else?

Files include: (a) Full regional map with land and mountains (b) Biome map (c) Full world map (for context to evaluate biome realism) (d) biome placements

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_a.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	118384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_b.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	118385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_c.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	644.0 KB 
ID:	118386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_d.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	118388

I really like the landform shapes and the ranges look great to me.

Not totally sold on the bright green border, but that's more of a personal preference.

I like the coloring and the scale. The mountains look great as part of the scale but when I look at the whole thing there is something about the mountains that bother me. It took me a while to figure it out though.

How were these mountains made?

I am trying to figure out what tectonic plates are shifting to make the mountains rise up in the places they are. The ranges just seem to be popping up where ever, in many different directions, for no good reason and it makes it seem odd. It depends I guess on what level of realism you are looking for.

FB.

Hey KM - Are you talking about the coastline? Here's a close-up. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing because it looks yellow to me but it wouldn't be the first time I saw a color differently than someone else

Name:  Coastline.png
Views: 213
Size:  44.5 KB

Hey Frost - I actually did a basic tectonic plate exercise, but I am not confident I did it correctly. See those two inland seas? My thinking was one of the plates split apart there and ran into plates where the mountains formed on either side. That's where I started, and then I gave myself a little creative license from that baseline for any other mountain range once I read about the Appalachians, which were created 500 million years ago from plates colliding but those plates have long since moved on. Was there one range that looked weird in particular or just the general layout?

Yeah, I was refrencing the coastlines. Zoomed out the fading gives it a greenish hue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    ... Was there one range that looked weird in particular or just the general layout?
    I guess it's the two highest mountain ranges being so close and at right angles to each other, that throws me off.

FB.

What are the latitudes on your world map? The ones closest to the poles are much smaller than the other, it's a little odd. <br>You have a jungle located at the same latitude as the boreal forest, is there a reason for that ?<br>Mediterranean climate should be located much closer to the poles and the jungles closer to the equator, not the other way around.

Hey Azélor, thanks for the feedback

> What are the latitudes on your world map?

On the world map, the increments are by 20, so the top one is 80, which is why it's smaller than the others because there's only another 10 degrees before the north pole. On the regional map (which is the red rectangle on the world map), it fits between approximately 38 to 60 degrees

> You have a jungle located at the same latitude as the boreal forest, is there a reason for that ?

Good call. I think I can fix this just by changing "jungle" to "temperate rainforest", according to the biome matrix

> Mediterranean climate should be located much closer to the poles and the jungles closer to the equator, not the other way around.

You're right on the jungle. On the matrix (and I don't know if the matrix is actually correct, I just found it on the interwebs), it says Mediterranean between 35-40 degrees latitude, which is about where that Med region lies on my map. Does that sound realistic if you remove the thought of the jungle right next to it?

From my understanding of the table, the closest biome to a jungle would be the subtropical rain forest and I'm not entirely sure it can be called a jungle.

Been working on my rivers. Can I get some feedback on them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rivers.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	118542

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast