Thread: The World of Orm

Map The World of Orm

This is the first map i've posted, hopefully i've done it right. Is this a separate thing to the gallery then? I haven't got any experience with using forums hehe. If you feel inclined to give any feedback please do, hope you're all having a splendid day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orm for upload.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	118628  

A very original style and a nice play with colors.
    Feels like a political map that could be used for a board game of some sort.

And congratulations for your first map here !

Thankyou very much

Guild Novice

This looks fantastic! The landmasses and continents are all really well-made, everything is believable in how it's laid out, and the borders make perfect sense. Plus all the names are really cool!

This is a great first map really nice!
    If I may share my first impressions:
    1. The light lime green areas draw a lot of attention to themselves, (quite evident in the thumbnail) It made me wonder if they were special but didn't see any other markings that would indicate it.
    2. The banners are the same for Land / Sea / Feature. Although differentiated by color their treatment means you have to read the text to understand it. Consider changing the holding banner style to help delineate features from each other, it will help group them across the colors. I think it might be because I'm reading the map at first glance as a political map (color zones) and then expecting to see the names reflect the region, but some of the names are feature names, not sure, it's at first glance a little confusing - but pretty to look at
    3. I had to double take on the Title. The overlay is causing the value of the text to blend closer to the backing plate making it harder to read. The windrose has has this same overlay but reads very well, this I think is because the backing of the wind rose is cool in temperature and the gold and red is warm, helping separate them. It also has well defined outlines (near the redstone) I think adding this same treatment to the title would be good.
    4. Lastly I found some dissonance between the border style and the map style. The map reminded me a bit of Kingdom Rush, but then the Border is differently styled with the overlay treatment, they don't seem to be mean't for each other. I think simplifying your border to 2 - 3 colors that don't blend - should have hard transitions between them like in the map - will make it more cohesive.

I actually really like the styling of this map well done @AlexLanfear looking forward to more!
    Portfolio - Instagram - Contact
    open for commissions

Thanks Kitty, you're too kind!

Thankyou so much for this amazing feedback, I really appreciate the time you took to help me out. I'll see if I can implement it

Default Fun!

Fun colors!
    Does strike me as artificial how similar in size the political units are though... no tiny city states, no empires?