Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Map of Tokyo

Default Old Map of Tokyo

Recently went on vacation to Tokyo and Bangkok. While visiting the Hamarikyu Gardens, at the entrance as a display of an old printed map of Tokyo.

I was able to get some decent pictures of it. I wish I knew more about the map. I'm going to see if I can find anymore out about it. Which might be very hard, since I don't speak or read Japanese. I do have a few friends that do.

But I thought some of the peeps here would be interested in seeing the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TokyoFull.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	118707

Name:	Toyko-01.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	118708

Name:	Tokyo-02.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	118709

Name:	Tokyo-3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	118710

Name:	Tokyo-04.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	118711

Name:	Tokyo-05.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	118712

That is LOVELY!

Yes. If you get more info, I hope you will share. It may exist digitally somewhere. Also translation would be extremely helpful. Any idea what time period is depicted?

People on Reddit are great at identifying things. Also neat find.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    People on Reddit are great at identifying things. Also neat find.
    But I hate reddit, because often people are terrible on reddit.

I believe GamerPrinter on here speaks Japanese. He's half anyway so if anyone here can help with this it might be him.

That is a cool map.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

These are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing them. Most of the labels look like place names, which are usually easier to translate through a Kanji dictionary than non-proper nouns. Jisho.org has a decent interface for that, but entering all of that information in would still be a lot more time-consuming than finding someone that can already read them.

The inscriptions are not aligned at all. You have to rotate the map constantly if you want to read it. And it doesn't always follow the obvious rule - not all the words are upside down in the upper part of the map.
    The 4 big hieroglyphs on the sides are, obviously, the directions. East is at the bottom, north is to the right etc.

KyGuy - there is a lot of kana on the map as well, plus some of the kanji are simple (e.g. numbers occur very frequently).
    The small field-like hieroglyph that you can often see on the outskirts stands for... fields
    The T-like hieroglyph stands for a block of houses. (You can see it with a number very often - and sometimes alone.)
    There are some katakana inscriptions that I don't understand. e.g. MOMIKURA on a block of houses near a river in the lower part of the map. The dictionary doesn't have this word - and I tried to google "momikura tokyo" without any results. It is probably the name of the owners.
    P.S. I've found some names+sensei, so there are a lot of names on the map - written in katakana.

As for the time period - there is a big Tokugawa coat of arms right in the center of the map, on top of Edo Castle - so it is clearly Edo period ( 1600–1868 ).
    Last edited by Gallien; 12-28-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Praise

That is so pretty. I hope to visit one Tokyo in the far future. Maybe I should use this to get around hehehe

This is beautiful, I may even copy the style of waves and boats for my mapping endeavours!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast