Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The World of Nossym

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map The World of Nossym

Hello everyone!

I haven't posted a map in a long time and I'm very sorry about that. The main reason is because life has this dirty way of interfering with my mapping plans. It's very frustrating not having enough time to draw because of overloads of work (but sometimes I also wonder if it's not just this frustration that is also a driving force... it's another debate). Another reason for this long cartographic silence is that I have embarked on projects that are a little too ambitious... and that it takes a lot longer to get there with something presentable. Among these projects, there is my very first map of the world, and this is the one I am publishing today, after 5 months of more or less continuous work.

In fact, this is not my very first map of this world: in 2014, I had just discovered Campaign Cartographer, and like any good, confident beginner, I immediately embarked on the map of this world (maybe I'll dare show you the result of this brave and unconscious ambition later, but it will be a little mortifying for me). This is the world of Nossym, which we created with my wife, to serve as a landscape for the adventures she writes. The coastline was drawn from the spots on our dog's coat at the time (a classic, I think). Since 2014, three volumes of a little girl's adventures and her dragon(s) have already been written (none have been sent to a publisher yet), and I have made many maps or illustrations to detail this world: maps of regions, cities or buildings. But I always knew I should come back to this map of the whole world.

I started working on it at the beginning of July, taking great inspiration from Saderan's tutorial: a guide so effective and so well done that Tear deserves a lot of medals. I had to improvise quite a bit for some areas, but the system is so well described that it makes life much easier for cartographers.

I took a long time to finish this map, because I decided to take time and not to rush. I didn't set a deadline and try to focus on the current task rather than imagine what would happen next. I find it difficult to take my time, because I always want to see the finished result, it was a kind of learning experience for me.

Enough talk, let's draw... The map was entirely made on Photoshop, for the dragons, I was inspired by models found on the internet, and here is the result :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nossym guild final.jpg 
Views:	2465 
Size:	14.11 MB 
ID:	118721

Feel free to comment and criticize

Wow, man. That's certainly what I'd call ambitious. The time and effort put into this clearly shows, and comes together to a very impressive map. The coastlines look fantastic, and knowing where they spawned from makes them just adorable! The ocean details are absolutely beautiful too.

The thing I love about the classic Guild tutorials is seeing how people take the basic ideas of the techniques and then proceed to put their own twists on it. I love how I can kinda spot your signature color usage from this one, even though there of course is a definite echo of Tear's legacy as well. (I wonder what has become of Tear. Is he even aware how well loved his tutorial still is, even though it's a decade old by this point?)

The only thing that bugs me a bit is how awfully crispy the stroke around the coastline is, but that really is the only one. A hell of a map, through and through. Nice to see you still hanging around, even if life keeps you away from mapping as much as you'd like. It can be pesky like that, but I'm sure it will get better with time. Keep your chin up, yeah?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Beautiful map. I love the colors you put together for it. Outstanding skill JO!! You shouldn't be embarrassed to put your first CC maps out there... I mean just go ahead and look at my first ever completed CC map that I did and posted here which was done in CC2. So if I can do it... You can too!!

Del

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Wow, man. That's certainly what I'd call ambitious. The time and effort put into this clearly shows, and comes together to a very impressive map. The coastlines look fantastic, and knowing where they spawned from makes them just adorable! The ocean details are absolutely beautiful too.

The thing I love about the classic Guild tutorials is seeing how people take the basic ideas of the techniques and then proceed to put their own twists on it. I love how I can kinda spot your signature color usage from this one, even though there of course is a definite echo of Tear's legacy as well. (I wonder what has become of Tear. Is he even aware how well loved his tutorial still is, even though it's a decade old by this point?)

The only thing that bugs me a bit is how awfully crispy the stroke around the coastline is, but that really is the only one. A hell of a map, through and through. Nice to see you still hanging around, even if life keeps you away from mapping as much as you'd like. It can be pesky like that, but I'm sure it will get better with time. Keep your chin up, yeah?
    Thanks a lot Kell ! You are right about the crispness of the coastline... I'm not sure I can fix it, but I'll try.
    I wonder too where Tear has been... I hope he knows how grateful I am !
    Now I have to save time for other heavy projects... One of them is on sketchup and my computer is overwhelmed by my ambition... So, it'll take time...

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Beautiful map. I love the colors you put together for it. Outstanding skill JO!! You shouldn't be embarrassed to put your first CC maps out there... I mean just go ahead and look at my first ever completed CC map that I did and posted here which was done in CC2. So if I can do it... You can too!!

Del
    Thanks for your kind words !
    If we are going down this path.... I should be brave and deal with the horrors of my cartographic past. And as you opened fire... here it is :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nossym (2017_06_05 19_22_17 UTC).JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	118724

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    If we are going down this path.... I should be brave and deal with the horrors of my cartographic past. And as you opened fire... here it is :
    You know, you could post the old and the new one back-to-back in this thread too, if you feel like it It'd be nice to see that one getting some action again.

(and if you look at that first post in there, I personally do not find your early map nearly as bad as mine... )
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Reminds me of some of the classic National Geographic maps. Good job!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Hey, not that bad at all. Besides that middle top right peninsula looking like a naked boob , I'd say this was not at all that bad. Just when I got used to CC2, they came out with CC3, which I duly bought and my gosh, my first maps in CC3 were a complete train wreck! In fact, I never recovered because it was after getting frustrated with learning a basically whole new curve that I decided if I was going to have to learn, I might as well get some proper art making software like Photoshop which gave me the freedom to do what I wanted. I downloaded Tear's tutorial actually and was going to try it out in the next few weeks just to see what I could churn out. So I'll keep ya'll posted

Del

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really great job! I love the dragons in the corners of the map and the compass. The coastline looks great!

Wonderful piece, I love all of the dragons. The land forms are nice as well. And I appreciate all the detailed map elements as well. Very nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast